Icom R75 Power Supply Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

So every February there's a "White Elephant Sale" that happens in Oakland, Ca. and I have gotten some pretty notable stuff at that sale; my Realistic DX-160, my GE Superadio, my Ray Jeff RDF radio, just to name a few.
Today I picked up a Samlex RPS1207 power supply for $8 bucks. Took it home and put the R75 on it.
1. The R75 runs cooler-I mean that with the original AD55a stock power brick that it came with that runs at 20v, even with the cooling fan I run at the rear of the R75, the R75 was very warm to the touch...now it's cool as if it isn't on.
This Samlex is staunchly regulated to 13.8v is why.
2. MW isn't as "hot" in that its cleaner in some respect-don't ask me how.
3. SW is minus some sort of SSHHHHH type hiss that was happening upon carrier fadeouts that was very annoying and had to be supressed with RF gain and noise filter.
Pretty thrilled with these gains! Yay for the Oakland White Elephant Sale for yet another cool toy. Been attending that thing for 23 years now.
My point is, R75 owners-consider getting one of these staunchly regulated 13.8v supplies and replace that way-hot AD55!

mbott

Premium Subscriber
My point is, R75 owners-consider getting one of these staunchly regulated 13.8v supplies and replace that way-hot AD55!

I had to replace the supplied Icom power supply on Day one. It generated way too much noise when listening to the radio. Picked up an Astron 4S and have never looked back.

--
Mike

majoco

Stirrer
Ridgy, I run all my 12volt stuff from one homebrew 10amp power supply that's very conservatively rated and it keeps the temperature down on everything - total current draw is just over 2amps for two scanners, three HF receivers, the R7000 and some odds and ends, mixers and amplifiers - there's only two receivers running from the mains power and they keep pretty cool anyway - the R7000 is very happy now. Glad you saw the (12volt) light!

ridgescan

Ridgy, I run all my 12volt stuff from one homebrew 10amp power supply that's very conservatively rated and it keeps the temperature down on everything - total current draw is just over 2amps for two scanners, three HF receivers, the R7000 and some odds and ends, mixers and amplifiers - there's only two receivers running from the mains power and they keep pretty cool anyway - the R7000 is very happy now. Glad you saw the (12volt) light!
Thanks Marty! Wish I had half your skills and knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.