Radio type

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunjerry

Hello all.

What type of radio would I need to listen to the following frequencies ? Example.

1345.0. 1345.0. Usb , lsb thanks everyone

majoco

Stirrer
Have another try at the frequency - 1345.0 is in the middle of the AM broadcast band and certainly not USB or LSB.

13.450kHz might be a bit closer in the aircraft HF band on upper sideband so you would need a shortwave radio capable of resolving SSB.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Cajun, this article from our wiki (links are blue) will give you a basic understanding of the various types of equipment that can handle HF...

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Your_First_HF_Receiver

A couple of words are in order. You can also get a small 'stick' SDR that covers HF for not much green. However, SDRs have a distinct disadvantage if you live in an area that has a large number of MW or FM stations. Many have issues with these stations bleeding into the HF region. There are filters that you can buy to get rid (for the most part) of these issues. It's a flaw in their basic design - many simply don't have the filtering up front to take care of the problem

You also need to consider the antenna. We have another forum for this topic; just be aware that no matter what you buy, an external antenna is going to greatly improve its performance.

I will be moving this thread tonight to our equipment forum - but in the meantime, everyone do chime in.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Cajun, use the reviews links in the article I gave to give you some idea of performance pros and cons before you buy anything. Even our SDR article for HF coverage has such links. Do yourself a favor and do your homework before you plunk down any cash.

And to ask questions about antennas -and undoubtedly you will, at some point, ask your questions here...

https://forums.radioreference.com/receive-antennas-below-30mhz/

Status
Not open for further replies.