DX 394 Memory battery replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjed

I've discovered that the the memory battery in my DX-394 has expired.However I also know that its a devil of a job to replace as the front of the radio has to be dismantled.
Has anyone ever done this job,or know of a tutorial to help me?The nearest I've ever come to anything like this is replacing the backlight on a PRO-2006,but i believe this in a different league.Is it as hard as they say,or is there a method to it?All pointers gratefully received.

Boombox

The only thing I know about taking off the fronts of DX-394's is that you need to make a special tool out of a socket (by grinding a tab into one end of it) to extract the nut that secures the tuning shaft, which also supports the front of the radio.

There was a DX-394 Yahoo eGroup that may still be in existence -- they had a description somewhere of the procedure for removing the front of the radio, and may have had info on replacing the battery.

Does the DX-394 still operate without the memory battery working? Just curious.

bigjed

Thanx guys.I'm already a member of that group and they have been of some help.Like yourselves,they say the main bugbear is removing the nuts that hold the rotary controls on.Strange thing tho'. I disconnected the radio from the mains for just over an hour just to have a reccy at what was needed,and when I reconnected it,I expected the readout to be all zeros,but no.All the saved frequencies were still there,as was the time display.So the battery may be re-charging itself to some extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.