Lowe HF-150

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Good day
Newbie on this site I came across a Lowe HF-150 made in England radio age is 20 years old in a pawn shop. It has the original power pack it is in perfect condition the owner hooked it up to some speaker wire as a make ship antenna and I was picking up AM broadcast stations and amateur radio operator's on the 80 and 20 meter band very clear and crisp. I have done some reading and the comments most lengthy in nature by owners say they are rock solid and not one comment of about a hundred stated they had any problems which required repair service. Anyone on here hear of this radio and have any comments.

Regards
Andy

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A very famous radio - reportedly owned by comedian David Letterman and former President George HW Bush. I understand former President Reagan had this radio on his bedside table

This is a gem of a radio. A bit prone to overloading issues at times, from what I recall, but otherwise this is a solid radio. Not a whole lot of fancy stuff (ECSS capable, passband, etc.) but a very good little radio.

If you find overloading to be an issue, a passive preselector will tame it. MFJ sells one or two at pretty reasonable prices, and there are plans on the net if you're skilled with building.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Lowe made a matching preamp/preselector for this radio called the PR150, and here's some information on it...

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/pr150.html

Interestingly, this unit can be used as a passive preselector by turning off the preamp, or using the preamp with preselection (making it active). I suspect this would be difficult to find on the used market, and if you did find it, it would be pretty costly. A better solution might be the two links below - certainly less expensive, for sure...

MFJ Enterprises Inc.

Cross Country Wireless HF Preselector

I know Palstar also makes one, but it's VERY expensive...if anyone knows of any others, please post the URL here...Mike

Boombox

A classic. I remember the UK DX mags of the 1990's always talked about the Lowe 150, and its successors. Naturally, as they were UK radios. But also -- simply because they were great radios.

If it works, and you can afford it, I would get it.

Scan125

I've had this radio from new many moons ago. A brilliant and well ahead of it's time HF receiver that was/is well respected for its price, performance, more digital base and of course portability. Many found their way into marine vessels(small and large).

When my Lowe IF-150 serial interface (for PC control) failed I designed and firmware coded and Arduino based more modern USB interface. This is a free project for anyone to build.

See: https://nick-bailey.co.uk/if150/index.html

Also available is my free HF150 Control Program - see: https://nick-bailey.co.uk/hf150/index.html

This program is quite old now but still fully functional and may be of interest.

I also have also collected over the years quite a few technical documents over the years.

Cracking unit. Enjoy it.

In technical and historical terms it is the foundation of the well receiver AOR 7030 receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.