FRG-8800 - Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hth999

I just bought a nice condition FRG-8800. Everything is working great. What I want to do is remove the TOP cover. The service manual and user manual does not cover this. It does say how to remove the bottom cover with a diagram. There is a switch for scanning that I want to change, and it located just under the top cover. The only screws I see are on the top / back of the radio. ( 2 screws ) I don't see any other screws holding the top cover in place. It looks like the top cover has not been removed in a long time or perhaps never. I can't seem to get the top cover off. It's a little embarrassing....but I'm asking for help. I can't seem to remove the cover at all it's possible it's stuck, but don't want to force it. Anybody have any experience with this radio. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If you haven't already, you might try looking on YouTube to see if there are any repair videos for this radio.

Token

It has been a long time since I had my FRG-8800 on the bench and apart, but I think the two screws you see are the only two remaining that hold the cover in place.

Working from memory here:

You remove the two screws that hold on the carrying strap (right side as seen fro front). You remove the two screws on the left side. You remove the two screws on the back edge of the bottom. Now the bottom cover can be removed.

The two screws on right and left sides went through both top and bottom covers, and those you have removed, so now the only thing retaining the top cover is the two screws on the top rear of the top cover. Remove those and the top cover should come off.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.