Another one followed me home...

Status
Not open for further replies.

majoco

Stirrer
Well, not really true but I did win the auction and courier wheels are in motion! A Zenith H560 tube portable that looks to be in pretty good condition externally and internally with all the paperwork, spare tubes including the rare and expensive 1L6 and the wavemagnet antenna which often goes missing I see on the net. Supposed to be a very good performer on the HF bands so it will be interesting to compare with the rest of the 'collection'!

Last edited:

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
My grandparents had one of these when I was a young pup. I remember asking for permission to listen to it, and then waiting impatiently for the radio to warm up, and the lovely sounds to start coming out of the speaker. Slowly tuning up and down the dial, with my grandfather's coaching. Very fond memories of that radio from my childhood visits.

Michael-SATX

Is this Zenith H560 a "Trans Oceanic" series ?

Well, not really true but I did win the auction and courier wheels are in motion! A Zenith H560 tube portable that looks to be in pretty good condition externally and internally with all the paperwork, spare tubes including the rare and expensive 1L6 and the wavemagnet antenna which often goes missing I see on the net. Supposed to be a very good performer on the HF bands so it will be interesting to compare with the rest of the 'collection'!

Martin, Is this Zenith H560 a "Trans Oceanic" series ? What approximate year range was this produced ?
Was the spare tube rack factory installed and thus fully populated with spare tubes when these sold new ?
Also is the pictured vertical metal wavemagnet antenna a telescopic design that extends up very tall ?

Founded in 1918, for many years, their famous slogan was "The quality goes in before the name goes on."
LG wholly acquired the Zenith brand in 1999. The LG means "Life's Good", before 1995 was "Lucky Goldstar" .
Link below is a good read about the founding of Zenith sold under name “Z-Nith” after the founders callsign 9ZN .

https://www.zenith.com/heritage/

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
Martin, Is this Zenith H560 a "Trans Oceanic" series ? What approximate year range was this produced ?
Was the spare tube rack factory installed and thus fully populated with spare tubes when these sold new ?
Also is the pictured vertical metal wavemagnet antenna a telescopic design that extends up very tall ?
I don' t have the radio in my hands as yet but...
The photo of the front shows a brass plate with "Trans Oceanic" stamped on it and so do the books, it's one of the H500 series, I guess the 560 is an export variant. I don't know about the tube rack. The wavemagnet is a loop antenna, not extendable.

Status
Not open for further replies.