RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > HF/MW/LW Equipment

HF/MW/LW Equipment - For general and technical discussion of all receivers which cover the HF bands. For HF tranceiver discussion please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum above.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2018, 6:58 AM

Default Sangean ATS-909 (Not the "X" model) Repair?

I have a Sangean ATS-909. This is a radio I think I'ver had since around 2002. It has seen very light use -- I only take it on vacations, and it gets returned to its protective pouch when I get home. It is in practically mint condition and has never been in a harsh environment.

We just did a short trip to my wife's parents' place, and when I got the rig out to play with it, the audio has gotten very distorted in all bands and modes.

I really like this radio, and even though I have ordered a Tecsun PL-660 to try to replace its functionality, I am interested in getting this rig repaired, if possible.

I am looking for suggestions on who/where to send it for repair.
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2018, 8:20 AM

You could try RadioLabs Radio Repair
Noel.

Icom R8500, AR7030, Perseus, BCT15X, AR8000
SDRplay RSP2, Funcube Dongle Pro+, Sangean ATS909, Tecsun PL-880
Old 08-08-2018, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_821 View Post
I have a Sangean ATS-909. This is a radio I think I'ver had since around 2002. It has seen very light use -- I only take it on vacations, and it gets returned to its protective pouch when I get home. It is in practically mint condition and has never been in a harsh environment.

We just did a short trip to my wife's parents' place, and when I got the rig out to play with it, the audio has gotten very distorted in all bands and modes.

I really like this radio, and even though I have ordered a Tecsun PL-660 to try to replace its functionality, I am interested in getting this rig repaired, if possible.

I am looking for suggestions on who/where to send it for repair.
First off, it is also distorted on headphones? It might be the speaker.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:40 AM

Headphone audio is clear. Any idea where I can order an OEM speaker to replace this one?
Old 08-11-2018, 6:30 AM

Unfortunately I don't know of any direct replacement.

Can you open the radio? The reason I ask, is it might be something as simple as a wire that needs to be resoldered to a speaker terminal. Speakers usually only go bad if they get way overdriven, or somehow get some junk in them in some way. They're a fairly simple device, and I don't think the 909's audio chip puts out enough power to wipe out the speaker.

Hopefully someone else here may have better advice than I can presently give you.

Good luck. PS -- I have a 909 (DX-398) and I just use headphones. I think a lot of guys do because it's easier to ID stations with headphones, and with a 909 you'll save batteries that way.
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2018, 12:10 AM

PS -- You might try contacting Sangean. They still make the 909X, and I would hazard a guess the same speaker may work.

Or one of the 909X modification people, like the RadioLabs company mentioned by the other poster.

I think I've seen them mentioned before in the old DX magazines, as a modifier of 909's and 909X's.

From their website, it looks like they repair Sangeans:
Sangean Radio Repair

Good luck, either way. The Sangean 909 is a great SSB, SW, FM, and MW receiver. Their LW section is good also. I have been able to hear LW beacons from 700 miles away just on the internal antenna.
Old 08-12-2018, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombox View Post
Unfortunately I don't know of any direct replacement.

Can you open the radio? The reason I ask, is it might be something as simple as a wire that needs to be resoldered to a speaker terminal. Speakers usually only go bad if they get way overdriven, or somehow get some junk in them in some way. They're a fairly simple device, and I don't think the 909's audio chip puts out enough power to wipe out the speaker.

Hopefully someone else here may have better advice than I can presently give you.

Good luck. PS -- I have a 909 (DX-398) and I just use headphones. I think a lot of guys do because it's easier to ID stations with headphones, and with a 909 you'll save batteries that way.
Thanks. I'm thinking about trying to open the unit and get a look at what's going on in there. Because this radio has only around 25-30 hours of use, I was really not thinking the speaker would be the issue. It is always in its case when not being used, has never taken a fall, or had any fluid spilled on it. It just comes out when I'm on the road and want to hear what's available to hear in that locale. No extreme temps, either.
Old 08-12-2018, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombox View Post
PS -- You might try contacting Sangean. They still make the 909X, and I would hazard a guess the same speaker may work.

Or one of the 909X modification people, like the RadioLabs company mentioned by the other poster.

I think I've seen them mentioned before in the old DX magazines, as a modifier of 909's and 909X's.

From their website, it looks like they repair Sangeans:
Sangean Radio Repair

Good luck, either way. The Sangean 909 is a great SSB, SW, FM, and MW receiver. Their LW section is good also. I have been able to hear LW beacons from 700 miles away just on the internal antenna.
Thanks. I have contacted Sangean USA and they are going to have a tech call me this coming Tuesday. He should be able to advise me on how to go forward. I was all set to send it to RadioLabs, but then discovered, thanks to Boombox's post, that the audio chain seems to be OK, making the speaker itself the possible culprit.

I'm all thumbs with soldering and such, so if it looks at all dodgey for me to attempt to replace the speaker, I will send it to RadioLabs.