Drake Drake r-8 alignment needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonecat1966

Hello.
I was wondering If anyone could suggest a private party or business that can give my Drake R-8 a look over and alignment?
The alignment is slightly off but the radio still functions well.
Thank you
Steve

w2xq

Mentor
Universal Radio in Ohio--not all that far from the old Drake location--might do the work for you. They sold a ton of the receivers back when.

pjxii

Hello.
I was wondering If anyone could suggest a private party or business that can give my Drake R-8 a look over and alignment?
The alignment is slightly off but the radio still functions well.
Thank you
Steve

Have you seen this list of repair techs on eHam?

https://www.eham.net/reviews/products/26

I remember Universal Radio had mentioned a repair service in their catalog when I first started getting them, but I think that stopped a long time ago. No mention of it in years.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Affordable Radio Repair might be able to help, too. Contact Mike Alexander.

Contact Me

Unfortunately, he reports that the shop is currently full. He must be doing something right. :)

--
Mike

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I was wondering If anyone could suggest a private party or business that can give my Drake R-8 a look over and alignment? The alignment is slightly off but the radio still functions well.

It's actually not that hard to perform yourself with just some basic tools. Some tests require more specialized equipment but the Drake is fairly easy to work on -- compared to other receivers.

Check Page 57 of the service manual:

Drake R8 Service Manual

db_gain

Not to scare someone off from doing alignments, but the filtering in the R8 series is done via LC circuits, you need some uncommon test gear to really set those up right, such as a specan and a sweep generator. If it was a ceramic or xtal filter rig, you'd be hard pressed to mess up the responses of those kinds of filters, with LC filters it's easy.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I got a note from my friends on DXer.ca (a Vancouver based site) that the Drake R8 Yahoo group has moved over to groups.io. I'd suggest checking there....Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.