Palstar R30CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billk9kz

Anyone use this receiver? Lots of good reviews on eham. I was wondering how good it would be for SSB since it does not have RF gain, pass band tuning or notch filter.

Bill

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You might want to check out the reviews on the R Netherlands receiver shopping list (which is archived by the MW Circle, a very well known British based MW DX club) and RadioIntel - specifically the 2nd page that has all the links on it (the first page of receiver links won't have it). I wouldn't doubt that there are more - check out the receiver reviews link under 'Scanners Receivers and Professional Radios' on the Wiki. There's even a Yahoo group devoted to the R30.

If you come up with other sites that have receiver reviews on them, please consider adding it to the list.

73s Mike

Fast1eddie

Once owned the CC model, really enjoyed it. Lost the front end due to a nearby lighting hit, yet was still able to receive strong signals. Sent it in for service, fixed to better than new in about a month. A really nice and robust radio. Bought the optional PalStar speaker, really sweet audio. Ended up selling it, I miss it. Just wish the R30 had a built in NiCad/NiMh charging circuit.

k9rzz

I have the R30 (in fact it's running right now!). No it doesn't have the filters and bandpass tuning and there are times when you NEED that depending upon what you're trying to hear.

It is what it is ... and for what it is ... it is excellent.

If you're digging in between loud signals, trying to eliminate interference, and hear that 1 kw DX station, then look for something with the bandpass tuning, etc.

If you're heading out into the field with a big spool of wire and need a solid receiver in your back pack ... take the R30 !!

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
John is correct. It is what it is. I had the R30C model and while it is a very good receiver (designed by a former Drake engineer - so you know it's gonna be good), it does have it's limitations. If you are trying to really pull out the tough ones on the Tropical bands, or are into MW DXing, or are just trying to separate stations on a crowded band, then I would recommend something a little more robust. That being said, I finally got myself a Drake R8B last year, and that is why the Palstar was sold. It's good, but couldn't keep up with the Drake in the trenches. It just kinda comes down to what you are looking to use it for.

Billk9kz

I like to listen to a variety of things, hams, mw, swbc. I really like having excellent audio which is why I'm considering the R30. There are many positive reviews on eham on the R30. I had an Icom R75 but sold it. I have really regretted selling the Icom. It was modded by Kiwa and I was very happy with it. I sold it because I found a Drake R8 in really great shape. As much as I like the R8 I prefer the modded R75. But to get another R75/Kiwa it would cost nearly $800 brand new. I don't really want to spend that much right now. A Kiwa/R75 is a sweet radio! I am very curious though about the SSB performance with the R30.

Bill

k9rzz

The Palstar does not compare to the R75 on SSB. No way. It does 'okay' on SSB/CW but the audio/note is not as crisp. On AM it does a wonderful job. I love taking it into the field as a portable DX machine, and I'd have to be on welfare before I'd sell mine ... but it's not an Icom.

:^]

Billk9kz

k9rzz said:
The Palstar does not compare to the R75 on SSB. No way. It does 'okay' on SSB/CW but the audio/note is not as crisp. On AM it does a wonderful job. I love taking it into the field as a portable DX machine, and I'd have to be on welfare before I'd sell mine ... but it's not an Icom.

:^]
Now that's some GOOD info. Thanks!

Bill

a29zuk

I was thinking about ordering the 30CC. Is the front end on this receiver as good as some claim in the E-Ham reviews? I live about a mile from an AM broadcast station.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Been there, done that....

Problem is that even with a good front end, you might get overloaded anyway, depending on your antenna situation. Fortunately there are MW rejection filters that can be a real big help for problems like this. See our SWL Broadcast wiki for a list of a few manufacturers.

73s Mike

k9rzz

Not sure what the numbers are on this rig, but here's my experience.

I took the rig and 700 ft of wire to a local park. I layed out the wire on the ground pointed at the Carribbean and found WDHP British Virgin Islands on 1620 S9 and all alone. This spot is 1 mile west of local 5kw on 1290 who is directional to the north plus two high power locals (WISN 1130 and WTMJ 620) about 10 miles south pointing right at me, and another local 5 miles west.

No problem with overload at all. Zip.

That is one solid front end on the AM BC.

Very impressive.

OzBassman

I might be a little late out of the gate. I am looking for a quality table top shortwave receiver or transceiver that occupies a small footprint. There are two that stand out in the current issue of WRTH 2017. They are the Commradio CR-1a and the Palstar R30. With regards to the Palstar radio I do not know the difference between the different model numbers. My local dealer is advertising the R30CC.

Could I have some feed back on these radios please? I will probably listen with headphones as the radio room is also the TV room.. Though would be interested in any recommendations about external speakers too please.

Kind regards,

Paul.

Turbo68

Hi Paul i got the Palstar R-30A which is an excellent hf recever mine gets used to monitor hf aircraft antenna PK loop dipole bought mine from Strictly Ham i think he is advertising the wrong receiver its been dicontinued for a while thats the previous model before the R30A.I did have the Commradio CR-1 wasnt very happy with its performance on hf at all sold it with no regret.

I use 4 Bhi NES-2 MK11 & MKIII dsp speakers excellent for hf not cheap but worth the money.

Regards Lino

OzBassman

Thanks Lino, as a side note I have a friend in Victoria named Lino and he is a Ham.

Any how thank you very much for getting back to me. Lino, with regards to the 4 Bhi NES-2 M11 & MKIII did this come Andrews in Sydney?

Could you also tell me what antenna you are using with the Palstar please?

Also you comments on the CR-1a, also noted. Can you expand on those please?

Kind regards,

Paul.

Turbo68

Hi Mike i bought my bhi mk2 from andrews and the others i bought them from waters & stanton in the uk reason being it was around $70 cheaper and all you had to do is buy a $15 adaptor from jaycar as for the commradio CR-1 first problem was the screen use to freeze and you had to keep turning it off to reset and start using it performance compare to my other receivers wasnt very good even my icom pcr 1000,1500,
2500 performance is excellent on hf tuning was very slow volume was very low.The antenna i am using on my Palstar R30A is a 40 metre dipole with a 9.1 balun from Paul at PK loops location is lilydale.I use my Palstar on ssb only and its as good as my Icom R75.

Regards Lino.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Palstars have an absolutely stellar rep insofar as their front ends are concerned. Rock solid and I've never heard of one ever overloading. The receiver is very basic, and it's expensive, but it has a pretty stellar reputation

Mike

OzBassman

Thank you very much Mike and Lino. I am a little bit nostalgic and this radio sounds like it will suit me very well. I will not necessarily be digging out the faint ones. As I will be listening to the big broadcasters and will be after lovely sounding audio, current affairs and local music to their respective regions.

I appreciate very much for your time in responding to my query.

Warm regards,

Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.