Please use UTC for all loggings

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As we're a worldwide site, time differences when reporting something heard can be significant. So we're going to have a standard of using UTC (Universal time) - also known as Greenwich Mean Time or GMT - in all loggings. (Technically there is a slight difference between the two, but it's not significant for our purposes)

This web page does a good job of explaining the concepts;

UTC GMT Conversion

UTC is used throughout most if not all magazine and mailing list loggings, and we should also use this practice.

best regards..Mike

majoco

Stirrer
Any reasonably serious SWL'er has a clock set to UTC nearby. You can also modify your computer clock to indicate UTC too.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
MW DX can skip just like HF can, so yes, please use UTC (GMT) for all your reports. Mike

n0nhp

If you happen to be running Win7, click the time/date on the taskbar, Change date and time settings, click additional clocks, set up a second clock on UTC, check show this clock box.
It won't show in the taskbar but when you hover the mouse over the clock, both clocks will pop up and show the time and date. It is also best if you go to region and language in the control panel and set the time display as HH:mm. This will set your computer to showing "military" time but that is the preferred format for logging anyhow.

Bruce

w2xq

Mentor
In the 1950s through the 1970s, my modus operandi was to send domestic USA/Canada MW reception reports using the time zone of the station. LW/MW reports going overseas, I used GMT.

As I recall, domestic DX tests arranged by the NRC and IRCA were standardized on Eastern local time. Local was defined as standard or daylight at the given month and day. Club bulletins just used the abbreviation ET. No, not the movie... :)

ridgescan

I don't log much anymore but I use it automatically as it has become second nature to me. I personally don't see why it would be an issue to use UTC in a world-wide based hobby anyway that includes continent-wide MWDX.
The newbees gotta get on board with it is all:)

k9rzz

In the 1950s through the 1970s, my modus operandi was to send domestic USA/Canada MW reception reports using the time zone of the station. LW/MW reports going overseas, I used GMT.

As I recall, domestic DX tests arranged by the NRC and IRCA were standardized on Eastern local time. Local was defined as standard or daylight at the given month and day. Club bulletins just used the abbreviation ET. No, not the movie... :)

Spot on.

If I log Antarctica on MW and list the time as 0145z, was that before or after sunset? before or after greyline? THAT's the important part of the equation. Since 99% of MW stations in the world are on 24hrs a day, there's no need to know sign on/off times, or when is English?

Ban me if you will, but I will be submitting my MW logs in local time, HF in Zulu.
icon12.gif

majoco

Stirrer
If you run "DX Atlas" you can see the grey line passing over Antarctica. Of course at the moment it's midwinter so it's grey all the time!

k9rzz

Okay, forget Antarctica. That seems to be a sticking point and is irrelevant.
icon9.gif

Let's just go with the fact that medium wave DXing is a local phenomenon. Even if you're on one of the coasts here in the USA listening to transpacific or transatlantic stations, someone on the OTHER coast (USA) has no chance in hearing what you've just heard. "Oh, if I tune in at 0300z, then I can hear those stations too?" No way. But if another local/same coast, wants to hear them then you can say "they started coming in at 7pm" or "they started to come in at 6am". The use of international time is of no additional help to others who want to hear similar stations. It's the understanding that "oh, if I listen in the mornings, then stations west of me come in because it's still night west of me. Got it!" or "If I listen on Friday nights, then I might get some new stations because they run high school football on their higher daytime power." Would it be helpful to say "tune into HS football between 0000z and 0300z"? A newby will probably say "when is that?" and someone in another country has NO chance in hearing them anyway, so why bother with zulu time?

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I admit I might be part of the problem, Have set my radio's time to UTC, Happy Fathers Day to all, 2120

Boombox

When I was an IRCA member a long ago they requested all loggings be in Eastern local time. I think the TA and TP and LA loggings were in UTC, though.....

I use UTC for all my loggings. I always have the clocks on my SW radios set to UTC, and always have one of them nearby to use as a clock when I DX MW with my Superadio or other radio with no clock on it. Just habit. On the one MW site I log onto frequently everyone uses UTC.

As I use the same paper logbook for both MW and SW the time is always UTC for both. On some MW sites, I will use UTC and mention what time it was here at home, if it seems like it would be pertinent (like Daytime DX, for example).

liquidgee

Better Things To Do With My Time

So, what y'all are saying is that if it's 2:46 PM where I am (east coast of the United States) and it's 2:26 PM I'd first have to convert that to 14:46 and then subtract by five as it's -5 GMT making UTC 9:46?

Uh huh, yeah, I don't thinks so. That's a waste of time - pun intended - as I've got better things to do with with my time. Any reasonable person wouldn't bother unless they have too much time on their hands. Sorry, folks, local time is the best time.

majoco

Stirrer
Sorry, folks, local time is the best time.

My quote from a previous post:
Any reasonably serious SWL'er has a clock set to UTC nearby.

I can often hear Aussie BC band stations - do I report them as my local time, their local time or UTC?......Ummmm...:roll:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It would be a bit confusing, I think, if you were to use NZ local time for someone reading logs who's on the East Coast of North America. That's why I strongly recommend using UTC (if you prefer the older term, GMT) when reporting.

Mike

kc4jgc

So, what y'all are saying is that if it's 2:46 PM where I am (east coast of the United States) and it's 2:26 PM I'd first have to convert that to 14:46 and then subtract by five as it's -5 GMT making UTC 9:46?

Wrong way. EST is -5 from UTC, not the other way around. Of course, now that the east coast in on EDT, it's -4. In your example above, 1446 EDT would be 1846 UTC . Even though the UK observes "summer time", ( making their time UTC+1), UTC NEVER changes.

Uh huh, yeah, I don't thinks so. That's a waste of time - pun intended - as I've got better things to do with with my time. Any reasonable person wouldn't bother unless they have too much time on their hands. Sorry, folks, local time is the best time.

I don't see how that's a waste; quick head math, no more than 1/2 second, gives you the correct universal time.

Status
Not open for further replies.