RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > HF/MW/LW General Discussion

HF/MW/LW General Discussion - General discussion on monitoring the HF (High Frequency), MW (Medium Wave), and LW (Long Wave) spectrum (0.5 - 30 MHz)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 6:56 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Please use UTC for all loggings

As we're a worldwide site, time differences when reporting something heard can be significant. So we're going to have a standard of using UTC (Universal time) - also known as Greenwich Mean Time or GMT - in all loggings. (Technically there is a slight difference between the two, but it's not significant for our purposes)

This web page does a good job of explaining the concepts;

UTC GMT Conversion

UTC is used throughout most if not all magazine and mailing list loggings, and we should also use this practice.

best regards..Mike
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2014, 9:10 PM
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Still having problems with UTC aka GMT conversion to your local time? Look atop http://w2xq.com/ref-time.html, a page I first posted in 1995. The realtime clock does require Javascript. There are no tracking cookies, BTW. HTH.
Old 06-13-2014, 3:47 PM

Any reasonably serious SWL'er has a clock set to UTC nearby. You can also modify your computer clock to indicate UTC too.
Old 06-14-2014, 7:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

For MW too? GMT/UTC makes no sense for MW since those are essentially local logings.
Old 06-14-2014, 9:47 AM
Moderator/Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9rzz View Post
For MW too? GMT/UTC makes no sense for MW since those are essentially local logings.
I would think so since your local time isn't my local time.
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2014, 1:45 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

MW DX can skip just like HF can, so yes, please use UTC (GMT) for all your reports. Mike
Old 06-14-2014, 2:19 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you happen to be running Win7, click the time/date on the taskbar, Change date and time settings, click additional clocks, set up a second clock on UTC, check show this clock box.
It won't show in the taskbar but when you hover the mouse over the clock, both clocks will pop up and show the time and date. It is also best if you go to region and language in the control panel and set the time display as HH:mm. This will set your computer to showing "military" time but that is the preferred format for logging anyhow.

Bruce
Old 06-14-2014, 2:32 PM
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

In the 1950s through the 1970s, my modus operandi was to send domestic USA/Canada MW reception reports using the time zone of the station. LW/MW reports going overseas, I used GMT.

As I recall, domestic DX tests arranged by the NRC and IRCA were standardized on Eastern local time. Local was defined as standard or daylight at the given month and day. Club bulletins just used the abbreviation ET. No, not the movie...
Old 06-14-2014, 2:34 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I don't log much anymore but I use it automatically as it has become second nature to me. I personally don't see why it would be an issue to use UTC in a world-wide based hobby anyway that includes continent-wide MWDX.
The newbees gotta get on board with it is all
'54 SX-88 #127, IcomR71A, RS DX-160,Telefunken Opus7 to Wellbrook loop @50'
IcomR75 to 100' endfed wire/9:1 trans. @40'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to Larsen Tribander
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2014, 9:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsundstrom View Post
In the 1950s through the 1970s, my modus operandi was to send domestic USA/Canada MW reception reports using the time zone of the station. LW/MW reports going overseas, I used GMT.

As I recall, domestic DX tests arranged by the NRC and IRCA were standardized on Eastern local time. Local was defined as standard or daylight at the given month and day. Club bulletins just used the abbreviation ET. No, not the movie...
Spot on.

If I log Antarctica on MW and list the time as 0145z, was that before or after sunset? before or after greyline? THAT's the important part of the equation. Since 99% of MW stations in the world are on 24hrs a day, there's no need to know sign on/off times, or when is English?

Ban me if you will, but I will be submitting my MW logs in local time, HF in Zulu.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:28 PM

If you run "DX Atlas" you can see the grey line passing over Antarctica. Of course at the moment it's midwinter so it's grey all the time!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:11 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

And local time at Antarctic stations is a matter of convenience rather than location.

Bruce
Old 06-15-2014, 11:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Okay, forget Antarctica. That seems to be a sticking point and is irrelevant.

Let's just go with the fact that medium wave DXing is a local phenomenon. Even if you're on one of the coasts here in the USA listening to transpacific or transatlantic stations, someone on the OTHER coast (USA) has no chance in hearing what you've just heard. "Oh, if I tune in at 0300z, then I can hear those stations too?" No way. But if another local/same coast, wants to hear them then you can say "they started coming in at 7pm" or "they started to come in at 6am". The use of international time is of no additional help to others who want to hear similar stations. It's the understanding that "oh, if I listen in the mornings, then stations west of me come in because it's still night west of me. Got it!" or "If I listen on Friday nights, then I might get some new stations because they run high school football on their higher daytime power." Would it be helpful to say "tune into HS football between 0000z and 0300z"? A newby will probably say "when is that?" and someone in another country has NO chance in hearing them anyway, so why bother with zulu time?

Last edited by k9rzz; 06-15-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Old 06-15-2014, 1:33 PM
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Food fight!
Old 06-15-2014, 4:21 PM

I admit I might be part of the problem, Have set my radio's time to UTC, Happy Fathers Day to all, 2120
Old 06-16-2014, 8:31 AM

When I was an IRCA member a long ago they requested all loggings be in Eastern local time. I think the TA and TP and LA loggings were in UTC, though.....

I use UTC for all my loggings. I always have the clocks on my SW radios set to UTC, and always have one of them nearby to use as a clock when I DX MW with my Superadio or other radio with no clock on it. Just habit. On the one MW site I log onto frequently everyone uses UTC.

As I use the same paper logbook for both MW and SW the time is always UTC for both. On some MW sites, I will use UTC and mention what time it was here at home, if it seems like it would be pertinent (like Daytime DX, for example).
Old 06-25-2014, 1:55 PM

Default Better Things To Do With My Time

So, what y'all are saying is that if it's 2:46 PM where I am (east coast of the United States) and it's 2:26 PM I'd first have to convert that to 14:46 and then subtract by five as it's -5 GMT making UTC 9:46?

Uh huh, yeah, I don't thinks so. That's a waste of time - pun intended - as I've got better things to do with with my time. Any reasonable person wouldn't bother unless they have too much time on their hands. Sorry, folks, local time is the best time.
Old 06-25-2014, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Sorry, folks, local time is the best time.
My quote from a previous post:
Quote:
Any reasonably serious SWL'er has a clock set to UTC nearby.
I can often hear Aussie BC band stations - do I report them as my local time, their local time or UTC?......Ummmm...
Old 06-25-2014, 7:21 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It would be a bit confusing, I think, if you were to use NZ local time for someone reading logs who's on the East Coast of North America. That's why I strongly recommend using UTC (if you prefer the older term, GMT) when reporting.

Mike
Old 06-25-2014, 8:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidgee View Post
So, what y'all are saying is that if it's 2:46 PM where I am (east coast of the United States) and it's 2:26 PM I'd first have to convert that to 14:46 and then subtract by five as it's -5 GMT making UTC 9:46?
Wrong way. EST is -5 from UTC, not the other way around. Of course, now that the east coast in on EDT, it's -4. In your example above, 1446 EDT would be 1846 UTC . Even though the UK observes "summer time", ( making their time UTC+1), UTC NEVER changes.

Quote:
Uh huh, yeah, I don't thinks so. That's a waste of time - pun intended - as I've got better things to do with with my time. Any reasonable person wouldn't bother unless they have too much time on their hands. Sorry, folks, local time is the best time.
I don't see how that's a waste; quick head math, no more than 1/2 second, gives you the correct universal time.

Tags