Question about two CB radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph11

I have a Kraco Mayday II Emergency CB Radio (Model Number KCB-4009) and an American Antenna K40 (Model Number K401). Does anyone have any information or comments about these two radios? Thanks.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Joseph and all,

Kraco produced junk and I could have sworn the K40 was a mobile antenna but my memory of 11M CB is as hazy as the '60s due to brain damage suffered by listening to CB in the 70s and too much sex, drugs and rock and roll. (;->)

Yeah, you'll find lots of hostility toward CB everywhere but the CB forums and there you'll find plenty of nonsense. If you listen to CB in this area you'll hear plenty of nothing but it makes a good "beacon band" for hams on 10M, if you hear bedlam then 10 is open.

wesct

Joseph11 said:
I have a Kraco Mayday II Emergency CB Radio (Model Number KCB-4009) and an American Antenna K40 (Model Number K401). Does anyone have any information or comments about these two radios? Thanks.

the kraco you are talking about is considered a help radio. more for emergencies then anything else.

the k401 if i remember, had been made by uniden for american antenna. wasnt a bad radio, but didnt have the features you need today like rf gain and a switchable noise blanker and anl.

wesct

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
Joseph11 - Had one of the Kraco's in the family for a year or so stored under the seat in the green carrying case. Never used it and left it under tthe seat when the car was traded in (deliberately). There is some Kraco info here - http://vintagerigs.info/modules/xoopsgallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=Kraco

If anyone collects TUBE TYPE CB's, we still have a couple of Lafayette HE20C-s, Johnson Messenger I, and seven 15 watt low band business AM units on 30.860 MHZ - Johnson Messenger 202 and 215's... all still work well.

Joseph11

Thanks, everyone. I wish I had that mag mount antenna that originally came with the Kraco CB. I'll stick with using my SBE Trinidad, very nice audio quality. I'm planning on getting my HAM license next summer.

Last edited:

wa2zdy

And when you get your ham license, you'll find a lot of radios with even better audio. Good luck and enjoy.

I see the Fordyce gang is here. Hmmmm! Tio :)

Status
Not open for further replies.