Distant AM station you picked up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDiablo

What is the furthest AM radio station have you picked up on you AM have you picked up?I live is Columbia,South Carolina and one time years ago I picked up an Am station from Iowa City,Iowa.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
I can usually pull in Denver's KOA from the NW suburbs of Chicago (a distance of somewhere around 900 miles) on my little portable Grundig, clear enough to be readable, despite my being only a few miles from the WGN, WBBM, and WSCR (formerly WMAQ) transmitters. WBAP from Dallas (about 800 miles) also comes in pretty strong.

evfd1625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; DROID RAZR Build/6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Wbz from Boston I believe, 3 am in Illinois.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
The farthest i have ever gotton from here is KOA in denver on AM and a station in Oklahoma on FM (KLAV)......

Usually i cant get KOA as its too mixed in with many other stations but I heard it long enough to hear the station ID one night..

AC9BX

I can usually pull in Denver's KOA from the NW suburbs of Chicago (a distance of somewhere around 900 miles) on my little portable Grundig, clear enough to be readable, despite my being only a few miles from the WGN, WBBM, and WSCR (formerly WMAQ) transmitters. WBAP from Dallas (about 800 miles) also comes in pretty strong.

You won't get WBAP any more now that WCPT is on 24hours.

AC9BX

I can regularly hear WSB Atlanta here in NE Illinois, right about 700 miles. I hear WLW most any time of day and like a local station at night, 300 miles. But then you can hear WLW anywhere. WTAM Cleveland is always good at night, 340 miles. WHAS, Louisville, 300 miles. WSM Nashville is a little rough but readable, 470 miles. I too used to be able to hear WBAP well. I can at times catch KOA, about 1000 miles. I will occasionally get stations from Canada or Mexico.
I find it more interesting to try for the lower power stations. I very much like KCJJ on 1630, a shining example of what a local area full service station should sound like. But the "X" band doesn't propagate by ground wave like the lower frequencies so it's all about skywave for distance. At 1000 Watts at night and a number of other stations on the freq. with the same power it's a real challenge. This is about 220 miles. I get them best in a brief window between my local sunset and theirs when the switch to night power.

hfflunki

ya sometimes i get wsb here in west michigan so i get alot of canadian channels and
mostly around midwest but i have been wanting to do some mwdx this fall and winter
since bcbsw stations are falling off at a fast rate
thanks dan

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Way back in the days, I use to

tune throughout the entire AM broadcast band late at night, (during the winter months in Ohio), logging all the station that I could pick up. Memory is shot, so I can not state what the most distant station was, but I did have some enjoyment doing it. I think that I did log all the 50KW broadcaster during that time; some where around 36 or so stations. When the conditions were right I could hear even the 250 watt distant station.

kilokat7

Premium Subscriber
I heard a very weak Australian last year from West Michigan on 702 KHz during sunrise enhancement. Distance calculated is 9,345 miles and a new personal record! I'll be trying for South Pacific DX again starting in late September and hope to refine my setup a little more with the hope of hearing some of these Pacific stations a little better. Yes, I'm hooked on medium-wave DX!

wizardb

I've just recently become an avid hunter on the AM Broadcast band. I have a Sangean DT400W radio and one night I was browsing on the AM band and picked up several distant stations. I don't remember the call letters but in the future I will record them. From the Memphis, TN area I have received a station out of Omaha, Cleveland, Shreveport and Chicago(WGN) and Nashville(WSM). this little radio does a great job. By the ay it also has a weather band with SAME alerts. All the indicators have worn off the buttons and a couple buttons are sticking. I guess I will replace it with the same thing because I can't find an alternate am fm wb with clock, back light and ear plug socket.

Yesterdy I picked up a Sony ICF-S10MK2 am fm radio for $11.00. This is an analog radio. I played with the AM last night and it does a good job of picking up distant stations. A cheap radio, analog but a lot of fun.

Hope I didn't go too far off topic here.

k9rzz

From here in Milwaukee, Dallas, Denver, and Winnepeg are daily regulars. West coast (San Francisco and L.A.) can be heard maybe a few times a month (in the early morning). Cuba can be heard most nights, Mexico City a few times a month. Venezuela and Colombia can be heard a few times a year. Really pushing it, Europe can be heard several times a year, but you need a GOOD receiver and antenna.

My lifetime goal is to log Hawaii from here in Wisconsin. Has it ever been done? I don't know, but I *WILL* do it (or die trying) It's certainly possible under good conditions and a HUGE antenna. :^)

Last edited:

ridgescan

From here in Milwaukee, Dallas, Denver, and Winnepeg are daily regulars. West coast (San Francisco and L.A.) can be heard maybe a few times a month (in the early morning). Cuba can be heard most nights, Mexico City a few times a month. Venezuela and Colombia can be heard a few times a year. Really pushing it, Europe can be heard several times a year, but you need a GOOD receiver and antenna.

My lifetime goal is to log Hawaii from here in Wisconsin. Has it ever been done? I don't know, but I *WILL* do it (or die trying) It's certainly possible under good conditions and a HUGE antenna. :^)
I'd be thrilled to death if just one time I could get a station east of the Mississippi. I have yet to do a proper MWDX session is probably why-I need to have patience.

wizardb

When I first looked at this thread, I was think AM commercial broadcast stations on a plain old am radio--hence my post. When I use my shortwave radio I usually connect a 50ft long wire antenna to it. I've never tried the commercial am broadcast band with the long wire attached. I'll have to give that a try. I am currently using a Tecsun PL-660 with a 50ft long wire attached for my shortwave listening. I'll have to give the am commercial band a shot with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.