Most common HF frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB1UAM

Just wondering what you guys like to listen too? What are your favorite bands??? I just picked up a Sangen ATS 505P and want to program as much as I can. What are some common frequencies for the New England area?????

SpectreOZ

Personally I listen to a lot of amateur band activity & HF Aero communications but what's available changes nightly with prevailing conditions, I recommend when searching for a particular language/broadcast the resources at www.short-wave.info also helpful for identifying intercepted SW stations.

I hope you enjoy your new purchase (external antennas pull in more signals) :D

Last edited:

zl2taw

Just wondering what you guys like to listen too? What are your favorite bands??? I just picked up a Sangen ATS 505P and want to program as much as I can. What are some common frequencies for the New England area?????

All depends on what you like listening to ?

Broadcast radio stations
Marine traffic
Aero traffic

there is plenty out there to listen too, its all a personal preference

k9rzz

I like listening to world news from Radio Australia in the mornings, or All India Radio in the afternoons. You'll have to Google up their latest schedules. WWV is always a favorite. :^]

ridgescan

I copied my answer to someone, from another thread similar to this from early this year.

{{AM SW broadcasts-
morning active bands 'till about 1600utc:
3000-5300kHz, 5700-6250kHz, 7200-7600kHz, 9200-10000kHz, 11500kHz-12160kHz, 13500kHz-14000kHz, 15000kHz-15825kHz

daytime active bands till about 0000utc:
9265-10kHz, 15000-15800kHz, 17500kHz-18000kHz, 21500-22000kHz

evening active bands till about 0600utc:
3000-3400kHz, 4840-5100kHz, 5700-6200kHz, 7200-7850kHz, 9300-10000kHz, 11500-12100kHz, 15720kHz, 17795kHz and some Asians in there on the higher ones too.

Far as utilities, generally in my evening time when I can get some distant stuff, I hunt between:
4000-5000kHz, 5200-5700kHz, 6250-7000kHz, 7700-9200kHz, 10051-11500kHz, 12300-13500kHz}}

I like listening to world news from Radio Australia in the mornings, or All India Radio in the afternoons. You'll have to Google up their latest schedules. WWV is always a favorite. :^]

There is a cool feeling listening to news broadcast from across the globe..

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Ridge's answer is, of course, biased to the West coast where he lives. Here in the East, it's a bit different. Sunset around these parts is around 2130 UT, and the sun comes up sometime around 1230 UT. As the sun rises you will lose the lower freqs by about 1300 or even earlier (depending on the path and how the ionosphere is acting that day) .

However living in NE as the OP does (I lived there for a couple of years) I can tell you some general guidelines on geographic areas. Africa is a good choice between 00 - 04 or 05 UT (take a look at a good sunrise/sunset utility and you'll see that Africa's sunrise starts roughly around 04 UT) - Latins are very much an all nite affair (depending on their operating times, natch). Asia is a real target in the late afternoons, and again in the early hours (1000-1300 UT), Pacific stations are a possibility in these early hours too.

Many listeners try to concentrate on one area of the world - for example if you speak Spanish or Portuguese well, Central/Latin America is still a hotbed of activity. Not as much as it was a few years back (particularly on 60 meters) but there's still stuff to be had. And never underestimate the various Brazilians on 49, 31 and 25 meters as well. There's some pretty funny about a Brazilian who is annoucing a futebol (soccer to you and me) match, and when someone scores the 'GOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLL' runs so long for some of these announcers you think he's hyped on an Oxygen tank..;.

Mike

ridgescan

Ridge's answer is, of course, biased to the West coast where he lives.
Mike
Yes you're right Mike-the times I gave are biased to my region, but I was mainly trying to enlighten him to the frequency blocks to tune between, which are common to all of us. Just trying to give him an idea where the BCs are concentrated so he may have a better go at it..

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did you read the manual - specifically, pages 2 (see item 20 in the diagram) and the bottom of page 10?

You can't really tune LSB and USB with this radio - you;ll have to use the CLARIFY knob on the side of the radio to clear it up. Sorta like what we had with HF radios about 30 years ago...Mike

Boombox

Does anyone know how to set the 505P to receive upper and lower side band???

There is a button on the left side of the radio. Flick it up, it kicks in the BFO, which clarifies the SSB signals.

Press the tuner knob in towards the radio to where it clicks -- then the radio will tune in 1 khz increments. Tune slowly through the ham band in question. Most of the QSO's you will hear, you won't have to use the BFO clarifier dial much. But sometimes you'll have to 'clarify' the SSB signals with the BFO thumbwheel. That's the thumbwheel on the top left side of the radio.

Move it a bit up from the detent to clarify LSB, and move it a bit down from the detent to clarify USB sigs.

If the SSB signals seem to warble too much, even after you have them clarified with the BFO thumbwheel, flick the DX/Local switch on the left side of the radio to "Local" and crank the volume up a bit to compensate.

Boombox

My favorite SW band is the 31 meter band. I have the most luck in hearing Asia and Africa tuning through that band. The 41 meter band is good here on the West Coast early mornings for hearing Asia. The 41 meter band used to be my favorite but the neighbor's plasma TV pretty much wipes out that band anymore.

I also like tuning through the 25 and 21 meter bands during early evenings. When conditions are good I can sometimes hear Middle Eastern stations on those bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.