monitoring with out a reciever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1leu

Greetings,
I have found a site called websdr.com where you can SWL without a radio, Its streamed over the web, I use this frequently due to the fact that I am a renter and my landlord is not exactly warm to the idea of me putting up an antenna or three.luckily I can get away with a 2 meter antenna, I regularly use it to drop in and listen to 40 meters and 80 meters, there various virtual recievers to listen to from all over, and if you doze off well the stream will stop if you do not use the controls now and then. it has a passband filter you can adjust, a waterfall display, different modes: AM,FM,SSB,CW, a logbook so you can see and post DX,adjustable bandwith,signal strength plot,audio recording, a widget showing band conditions and more
you can even join as a websdr provider for others to listen from your QTH check it out.
Dave
N1LEU

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I've been using that site for a couple of years, it's the best one out there, IMHO. It's not perfect, but it does work very well. I've even used it to decode WX FAX and RTTY. Here at work, a web receiver is about the only way to listen to HF as the RFI in here is amazingly bad.

Token

There are multiple remote receiver sites. WebSDR.org is only one of them. SDR-Console is another that is SDR based. SDRAnywhere is another SDR based network, however that one is not really meant for casual drop in listeners. None SDR networks exist also, like Globaltuners.com.

WebSDR is very popular largely because of the Twente University SDR.

T!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As I type this, I'm getting a 'Connection Refused' from WebSDR, suggesting that it's really busy right now...however there are a few more such online radios linked from here...

Live Tunable Receivers - The RadioReference Wiki

The Perseus website is also quite popular...

If anyone knows of other such sites, please add to this list. Mike

Scan-Denver

Greetings,
I have found a site called <websdr.com> where you can SWL without a radio, Its streamed over the web, I use this frequently due to the fact that I am a renter and my landlord is not exactly warm to the idea of me putting up an antenna or three.luckily I can get away with a 2 meter antenna, I regularly use it to drop in and listen to 40 meters and 80 meters, there various virtual recievers to listen to from all over, and if you doze off well the stream will stop if you do not use the controls now and then. it has a passband filter you can adjust, a waterfall display, different modes: AM,FM,SSB,CW, a logbook so you can see and post DX,adjustable bandwith,signal strength plot,audio recording, a widget showing band conditions and more
you can even join as a websdr provider for others to listen from your QTH check it out.
Dave
N1LEU
Are you sure the website address you quoted above is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.