West Coast HF Weird Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

emt_531

On the West Coast from 100khz to 60Mhz there seems to be a constant interruption in this whole spectrum spaced at 100khz or very close to it spacing. It sounds like dead air. The consistency is there and I am wondering if anyone else can hear it? This just started about a day or so ago.

Boombox

Sounds like local RFI. Do you have a new electronic device in your house?

Or -- if you're in a condo or apartment complex, could be a nearby neighbor.

Something with dead carriers spaced that close to each other, and that widespread, sounds like RFI.

GB46

Regularly spaced carriers like that are often caused by radiation from TV receivers. That kind of RFI shows up here, too, although I haven't checked the exact spacing. I don't watch TV or even have a TV here in my apartment, but there's an unused live cable outlet, and I'm sure my neighbors watch TV. In fact, one of them has a TV with a 54-inch screen. One clue is that the interference doesn't start until the early evening, which is when most people switch on their TVs.

The RFI may be due to poorly shielded TV cables, radiation coming directly from the TV sets, or both. At any rate, it's a real nuisance. Even this computer sitting right next to my receiver doesn't cause that much interference, and my antenna is indoors!

Status
Not open for further replies.