RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > HF/MW/LW General Discussion

HF/MW/LW General Discussion - General discussion on monitoring the HF (High Frequency), MW (Medium Wave), and LW (Long Wave) spectrum (0.5 - 30 MHz)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2017, 4:11 PM

Default Portable sw receiver

I work in a electrical power plant our residences are about 22 miles away from the plant the buildings were I live are all covered in aluminum or steel not sure the prob is indoors I don't hear anything on my portable receiver
Sponsored links
Old 06-12-2017, 6:15 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Shielding, no doubt. Since it's a portable, take it outside and see if you start hearing things...If so, an outdoor antenna - as far away from the home as you can - is the answer here. Mike
Old 06-12-2017, 9:00 PM

Set the radio right next to a window, and see if that helps at all. The glass isn't a shield. But if your house is covered in aluminum or steel, that definitely would act as a shield for radio signals.

If the window doesn't work, try taking the radio outside and see if that makes any difference, as KA3JJZ says.

And remember, SW conditions are mediocre lately, that certainly isn't helping things any.

But you should be able to hear something, like CHU or WWV. Or Cuba and one of the US domestic religious SW broadcasters.