RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > HF/MW/LW General Discussion

HF/MW/LW General Discussion - General discussion on monitoring the HF (High Frequency), MW (Medium Wave), and LW (Long Wave) spectrum (0.5 - 30 MHz)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2017, 7:19 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default DX on 860 AM - Radio Reloj, Havana

There's a Philadelphia station on 860 AM, a daytimer, heard well here during the day. Now on 12/14 was listening at night in the car when that station was off the air and heard Radio Reloj (Radio Clock) with time pips and identification every minute on the minute - it sends "RR" in CW. Some QSB. Also heard a French-language station concurrently, most probably from Canada.

Cold weather brings excellent AM DX.
Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2017, 10:35 AM

Radio Reloj is always cool to hear for the first time. The only time I heard it was on a GE boombox at Grand Isle, Louisiana. Heard a lot of Cuban stations from the Gulf Coast.

For a Northwesterner, it was really cool to hear all that.
Old 12-18-2017, 8:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for the info on this one. 860 pretty much dominated by 50kw CJBC Toronto FF here but the "RR" is unmistakable.
Old 12-20-2017, 4:52 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I live in Henderson Ky and our local radio station is on 860. My brother worked there for a while and he said when they would shut down their transmitter they could hear other stations and I think one was in Canada. I think..
Old 12-20-2017, 4:54 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I live in Henderson Ky and our local radio station is on 860. My brother worked there for a while and he said when they would shut down their transmitter they could hear other stations and I think one was in Canada. I think.. but they no longer shut their transmitter down. It's a 24/7 operation now.
Old 12-20-2017, 4:55 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sorry for the double post
Old 12-20-2017, 8:31 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There are a number of Canadians on 860 but 50kw nondirectional day and night CJBC Toronto is the one you most likely heard. It is a French language station.
Old 12-21-2017, 6:22 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks for the responses. Some of those Canadian stations that are heard here in NJ at night remind me of some AM stations here that used to play music.

Radio Reloj was heard again last night with QSB along with the Canadian station. AM DXing is lots of fun.