MW: Local class D station still broadcasting at midnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
As a creature of habit, I tune over to 1030 WBZ to fall asleep, like I always do. But the semi-local class D Spanish station is still broadcasting at full power, several hours after sunset! A disappointing ending to a very disappointing day.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
There's a way to cancel them out, but the DIY instructions were on another computer. It's *not* using a tuned loop, it's a DIY deal, using tin foil, a wire to the receiving antx on your radio, and moving the radio directional to the station. I'm too busy right now to find the link again- forgot the proper search terms. IF I remember this tomorrow, I will search again for the how-to- it's a very old post, wish me luck. Has to do with blocking out another MW station- my searches right now come up bupkis- no time tonight to do so any more and it's late

I know your pain. Apparently the Mexican stations don't respect the FCC... it bugs me when I am dxing and my late night listening on MW.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber

WA8ZTZ

WBZ puts a good signal in here (have even received it on my xtal set) in the evening after the local 5kw daytimer signs off.
Occasionally tune in to catch Dan Rea's Night Side program.

ridgescan

Yes. I suffer the same thing here in San Francisco. I enjoy 920kHz out of Modesto at bedtime with their oldies, but the local station on 910kHz bleeds in especially during commercials. With my two bedside DXrs, my sx-88 with its bandwidth selector, and my Realistic DX-160 with its awesome selectivity on MW, both with antenna trimmers that I can use to weaken adjacent power, I can get a manageable copy.
There's another station I like a lot out of Ventura, Ca. on 1520kHz, but the same bleedover from a local Asian station on 1510.

It seems like certain stations are immune to power-down.

a29zuk

The MFJ-1025, out of the box, only works down to 1.8 mhz. Have done the modifications on it to work down on the broadcast band. It works well for nulling unwanted stations.
Ridge, you could do the same with your Timewave without any modifications.

Jim

ridgescan

The MFJ-1025, out of the box, only works down to 1.8 mhz. Have done the modifications on it to work down on the broadcast band. It works well for nulling unwanted stations.
Ridge, you could do the same with your Timewave without any modifications.

Jim
Jim thanks for this. I read in the instructions about enabling MW notch via internal jumpers, but how do I use the unit for adjacent interference? Could you kindly enlighten me? Just a mere manipulation of controls?

WA8ZTZ

Yes. I suffer the same thing here in San Francisco. I enjoy 920kHz out of Modesto at bedtime with their oldies, but the local station on 910kHz bleeds in especially during commercials. With my two bedside DXrs, my sx-88 with its bandwidth selector, and my Realistic DX-160 with its awesome selectivity on MW, both with antenna trimmers that I can use to weaken adjacent power, I can get a manageable copy.
There's another station I like a lot out of Ventura, Ca. on 1520kHz, but the same bleedover from a local Asian station on 1510.

It seems like certain stations are immune to power-down.

That station on 910 may be running IBOC. :(
If it is, all the selectivity in the world isn't going to help.

Have the MFJ 1026 here (did the LW/MW mods) and it does help cancelling out unwanted stations and noise. It will only cancel out one other undesired signal. If, for example, the noise is from multiple sources... forget about it. The controls require some manipulation to get good results. The key seems to be to adjust the respective gain controls to get the desired signal on the main antenna and the undesired signal on the "noise" antenna at the same strength and then adjust the phase control for null.

If the undesired stations are on enough different azimuth your loop should be able to null them out.

ridgescan

Have the MFJ 1026 here (did the LW/MW mods) and it does help cancelling out unwanted stations and noise. It will only cancel out one other undesired signal. If, for example, the noise is from multiple sources... forget about it. The controls require some manipulation to get good results. The key seems to be to adjust the respective gain controls to get the desired signal on the main antenna and the undesired signal on the "noise" antenna at the same strength and then adjust the phase control for null.

If the undesired stations are on enough different azimuth your loop should be able to null them out.
Thanks for the help! Is IBOC where there are "rushing" sounds on either side of their frequency? If so, no, 910 doesn't use that. The only station I know of that does have that characteristic is a sports station on 1050. I gave the Timewave a go last night after reading Jim's post, but on the R71A at the desk and it did seem to cut about half the bleedover. The only small problem is I listen to those stations at bedside with one of the other two receivers and I'd have to jump up out of bed to adjust the Timewave any time I changed frequencies. OTOH I could just stick to one frequency:)
And you are right about the loop-it surely does help with null.

WA8ZTZ

Thanks for the help! Is IBOC where there are "rushing" sounds on either side of their frequency? If so, no, 910 doesn't use that. The only station I know of that does have that characteristic is a sports station on 1050. I gave the Timewave a go last night after reading Jim's post, but on the R71A at the desk and it did seem to cut about half the bleedover. The only small problem is I listen to those stations at bedside with one of the other two receivers and I'd have to jump up out of bed to adjust the Timewave any time I changed frequencies. OTOH I could just stick to one frequency:)
And you are right about the loop-it surely does help with null.

Yes it does make sort of a "rushing" hash of the adjacent frequencies. The station on 1050 may or may not be using IBOC all the time according to various sources. If you have a SDR it is plain to see in the waterfall out +/- 15 kc from the carrier freq.

Maybe a small homebrew box loop or the Grundig AN 200 loop for the bedside receivers.
Have both here and they do work. The AN 200 has the advantage of being tunable plus it comes with a cable that allows it to be wired direct to the RX.

ridgescan

Nah I do ok with those receivers especially the SX-88, I just switch the band width knob to 5kHz and it kills all the bleedover. The DX-160 is trickier-I adjust ant. trimmer for weak instead of peak, then tune a little away from the local flamer on that one. Plus that old 160 really is very selective in MW.

WA8ZTZ

Ridge,

Another idea... if necessary, your CCrane twin-coil may be useful in nulling out the bleedover from the local flamethrowers.

a29zuk

Nah I do ok with those receivers especially the SX-88, I just switch the band width knob to 5kHz and it kills all the bleedover. The DX-160 is trickier-I adjust ant. trimmer for weak instead of peak, then tune a little away from the local flamer on that one. Plus that old 160 really is very selective in MW.

The DX 160 was my first communications receiver. I also enjoyed listening to MW on it, too, as like you noted, had good selectivity.

Jim

Sent from my standard laptop with a standard keyboard.

Last edited:

a29zuk

Also, experimenting with your main and noise antennas with have a effect on nulling.
Currently mine are only fed about two feet apart but one runs east/west and the other north/south.
Like WA8ZTZ says, if the two stations are coming from the same direction it will not work.
Would like to take the Palstar and the MFJ out to the park sometime and experiment with longer wire antennas.

Jim

Sent from my standard laptop with a standard keyboard.

Last edited:

ridgescan

I have the twin coil semi-permanently attached to the internal coil on my Korting Delmonico out in the kitchen. That radio is a fun MW DXr too but it aint near the bed:)
In my first post in post #6 here I guess I only meant to relate with the OP about having to deal with adjacent bleedover, but I did state from there on that I can deal with it via attributes on my two bedside rigs as well as now what you all suggested thereafter that I will try, for which I thank you:)
It's funny, I get three oldies music stations among 5 or 6, long distance, that are parked next to local flamers; 920 out of Modesto, 1250 out of Willits, and 1520 out of Ventura-so I guess I was sort of feeling the OP's pain when I first posted:D

WA8ZTZ

Would like to take the Palstar and the MFJ out to the park sometime and experiment with longer wire antennas.

Good idea... get away from all the noise.

Find a suitable spot and simply lay as much wire as you can right on the ground. The longer the better.
Aim the end of the wire in the direction you want to DX.

See post #5, click on the link to "hard-core DX" and then in that article click on the link "MFJ needs to be modified" for some mini-DXpedition ideas.

Last edited:

a29zuk

Good idea... get away from all the noise.

Find a suitable spot and simply lay as much wire as you can right on the ground. The longer the better.
Aim the end of the wire in the direction you want to DX.

See post #5, click on the link to "hard-core DX" and then in that article click on the link "MFJ needs to be modified" for some mini-DXpedition ideas.

I have taken the Palstar and hundreds of feet of wire to the park several times in the past with great results.
But I haven't taken the MFJ out yet and experimented with two antennas. If we keep getting this dry weather the mosquitos will be non-existant. That is half of the battle. The dog has fun, too!

Jim

WA8ZTZ

But I haven't taken the MFJ out yet and experimented with two antennas.

Jim,

Be sure to check the links to the article referred to in my last post (regarding Lauri's post #5).
It was written by Mark Connelly who has done lots of AM BCB DXing and written a bunch of good tech about it.
There is also a guy on here, also in Michigan, who goes by Kilokat7 who has done amazing AM BCB DX with phased antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.