ILG database shell for control programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As some of you that have been in the business for awhile may know, ILG in Germany used to provide a very useful list of stations, times and broadcasts that were downloadable in numerous formats. These lists could be directly used by numerous rig control programs to automatically tune to the frequency of interest. As long as the files were kept up to date, these lists were the easiest way to find some of the larger - and not so large - broadcasters.

For several reasons which I won't go into here, this service was closed a couple of years back. That left a heckuva lot of programs in the dust. There have been several attempts to convert other databases (notably RXPlus has done it just recently with the Aoki database - no, I've never heard of it either...) or to support other databases (such as what SWLog has done). But ILG remained out of reach.

Someone has not only come up with a database 'shell' in a format similar to (evidently not quite the same as) the ILGRadio format, as well as a HTML based database that you can use to load it. You would need to register - free - to access the area and forum (seperate registrations needed, it seems...), but it sounds rather interesting. I got wind of this via the DXLD yahoo group. You can find it here...

http://www.ioc.com/

Notice that the author just mentions Icom radio compatibility - well depending on the software, there's a heckuva lot of other software that ILG could communicate with. I understand SW Log has just announced compatibility with this new structure, and hopefully others will follow suit. There are, from reading the few messages on the forum, still some compatibility issues with the old format, but it's a good start. SW Log supports a lot of different radios, and has links via Ham Radio Deluxe to a great many others.

I can hear folks saying 'heck I can use an Access or Excel spreadsheet for this' - true enough, but remember that the original ILG database had hooks in it to directly communicate with numerous control programs. Keeping up with the station changes takes work - the popular World of Radio program, the North American SW Association 'Journal' (which has a column called 'Listener's Notebook' which is devoted to schedules) are just 2 of many sources.

73s Mike

Last edited:

k9rzz

I miss ILG.
981.gif

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You have to join the forums and subscribe to view the message, no doubt. I got the same error - I would bet once you've subscribed, you can view it 73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.