Home theater subwoofer placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjrjr507

Hi all stereo listeners

I had my 8 inch sub by the right rear wall about 8 feet from my listening area for a long time but was not impressed with the bass response. It was ok but I thought it could be better, so I moved it tonight in back of the stereo system behind the lcd tv and placed it on the floor parallel to the stereo with the front facing to the right wall. Well I was shocked at the difference of the bass response. I can here all the freq's now, Boom! I can imagine what an 12 or 15 inch sub would do. Yikes! Oh and I set the sub on normal instead of reverse. I tried it on reverse on the sound went out of phase and sucked. Now if I only had 2 sub's, heh heh.
Try it out, the bass is awesome. Oh and I have the sub set for 50 hz cutoff and main speakers at 50 hz.

See you later and crank the volume, ha.
P.S. I need better main speakers, when I can afford them. Cerwin Vega XLS 215's, heh heh

Last edited:

cmrath

Yeah, anytime you can place a sub in a tight spot such as that you'll see huge improvements.
To add to your point, even taking your computer subwoofer and placing it under your desk instead of beside it can help.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Every time you introduce a boundary to frequencies below about 100Hz you get "Boundary loading"
Put a sub on the floor, you get +3dB more out, Put it on the floor against a wall, +3 more, put it in a corner, +3 more. The response will be peaky at some narrow band of frequencies somewhere in the room but that can be fixed.

My sub is in the corner behind a sectional sofa and I had to knock down 65Hz -18dB to flatten it out for my listening position.

How Boundaries Affect Loudspeakers « Synergetic Audio Concepts

Dave

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Put the "bass commode" as Cerwin-Vega called it on the floor in a corner for maximum output, this gives a horn effect. Bass is non directional and mono so you only need one woofer in a 3 speaker (one bass and two satellites) system.

"P.S. I need better main speakers, when I can afford them. Cerwin Vega XLS 215's, heh heh"

Yeah, C-V satellites suck raw eggs, cheap and dirty doesn't cut it. Money wise they're not cheap, what goes into them just might shock you. Check out the sound room in a high end store, make your selection and take note of it. Then shop around and get the cheapest price, replace the C-Vs but keep the "sub" woofer. I don't know nor do I care which audiophool thought that one up, it's a woofer, any sub woofer would make sounds only an elephant could hear.

Audiophoolery: FURUTECH DeMAG LP DEMAGNETIZER at Music Direct

F

feets

I don't mean to revive this old thread but thought I'd offer advice on sub placement.

1. place sub in your listening position.

2. crawl around room, sticking your head in corners and such while listening. Determine which spot has best sounding bass.

3. move sub to the spot you found.

Your sub is now in the optimal spot for your listening position.

scottyhetzel

I don't mean to revive this old thread but thought I'd offer advice on sub placement.

1. place sub in your listening position.

2. crawl around room, sticking your head in corners and such while listening. Determine which spot has best sounding bass.

3. move sub to the spot you found.

Your sub is now in the optimal spot for your listening position.

That is how jbl told us at class to do it without engineering....your right on !!

Last edited:
F

feets

That is how jbl told us at class to do it without engineering....your right on !!

There is an additional step that I missed for most households.

4. After you've completed steps 1-3, put sub back in the spot the wife told you she would allow it.:(

:D

SCPD

QRT
yeah but

There is an additional step that I missed for most households.

4. After you've completed steps 1-3, put sub back in the spot the wife told you she would allow it.:(

:D

4. But you cant hear it outside on the curb.

Status
Not open for further replies.