Proper DirecTv dish/receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I'll try here first, as the DTV websites are worse than QRZ at times talking about CW vs P25...

Looking to add a sat dish to the house, and use the current DTV HD receivers. No genie, no DVR, just their current H25.

Basically, the inlaws will be visiting here and there and will bring their receivers and/or I'll have to lease a couple of other ones and leave them there so I don't need to get expensive service that I won't really use.

I'm thinking of just buying one of the after market dishes....

However I did prewire the new house for 8 or so coax runs so I'd like to have maximum capactity from the dish without spending a lot of money - if possible. This way if I need to move the receiver around the house I won't (or will limit) which coax I'll need to plug/unplug.

IIRC, I had the builders leave 4 cable runs to my utility room, so I'll have four lines to play with.

I've looked thru the sat retailers around the web, and they all seem to have websites made in 1994.

prcguy

I would go with a Directv Slimline 5LNB SWM model, which will feed up to 8 receivers or 4 DVRs using a simple splitter and one cable to each receiver. You can get them new on Ebay for cheap. You might get by with a 3LNB model but without knowing what package you have its best to go bigger.

Aligning a 5LNB dish takes more steps than simply peaking for max signal but the dish should come with instructions and you can use the DTV receiver meters as a peaking aid. Don't forget to get an 8-way divider approved for DTV SWM service.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.