Digital TV antenna recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
I am considering getting rid of one of my cable boxes for one of those digital antenna's. Any recommendations on which one. Not looking to put anything on my roof, just indoors. I am in CT about 30 miles from NYC. Not sure how well they work and where my house is I sometimes have trouble with getting some FM radio stations! Thoughts and comments please!!

jack103

Premium Subscriber
No such thing as a digital antenna, just look for a tv antenna ! Currently I use my scanner antenna for my HD set.

SCPD

QRT
Any indoor antenna is going to get you some stations. Being 30 miles from the transmitters may be a bit far away for great indoor reception. My suggestion is get something outside. It don't need to be on the roof, just outside the house, on the side that NYC is on. Second best option, if you truly don't want to go outside, is to put the antenna in the window, on the NYC side of the house.

I was using a $20 non-amplified flat panel antenna from Walmart, before I hooked my tv up to an unused 3 element 2-meter beam which was already mounted outside. But I absolutely could not get in our Detroit Channel 2 with the indoor antenna (about 20 miles away), something to do with VHF TV stations don't run much power. So if one or more of the stations you want to watch are VHF, no matter what indoor antenna you use, you may not get them.

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your input! I am going to try a few things and see what I get. The problem is that there is a hill behind my house that would be on the NYC side so I think that is going to be a problem. Thanks again!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Another thing to look at is what
RF channels the stations you want to watch are using.

In Wyandotte's example, channel 2 is actually broadcasting on channel 7, and I think is the only station on VHF in the market, besides channel 9 in Windsor.

Most of the flat panel antennas are better at UHF reception, and that is where most stations are, these days. Knowing what channels you want will help you know which antennas will work better for you.

Sent via Tapatalk

kc4jgc

Dave,
I suggest you visit antennaweb.org. There, you can enter your address. The site will calculate stations that you should be able to receive and the antenna required to receive them. You'll also see the virtual channels, actual RF channels.

HTH,

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your suggestions. Turns out that I tried conecting my cable directly to my TV and I do get alot of non cable channels! So it looks like as soon as my promotion runs out for a free cable box, I will be giving that back to my cable company and save a few $$. Just need to replace the TV because it is an old analog tv and the signals coming through the cable are all digital. So Santa may be bringing me a new TV for Christmas!! Thanks again for all your help!
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.