RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Hytera Forum

Hytera Forum - Discussion forum for Hytera radio equipment. Questions concerning their use on amateur radio networks and frequencies belong in the Digital Voice for Amateur Radio forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2014, 8:21 AM

Default Newbie on the Hytera PT580H

Good Day Y'all!

I am a newbie with some expensive real estate, the Hytera PT580H. Actually, I am a program director at the University and purchased 2 Hytera PT580H for communication among faculty and staff. Apparently, I was not able to get my hands on basic 2 way walkie talkies in the Kingdom since for some odd reason, they are banned here and trying to find a seller is next to impossible.

After 2 months of researching and meeting contact, one Hytera rep helped out to procure 2 of these devices to test and if we like them, we will order more (all this is being done via unofficial channels).

This device is a Tetra handheld with TMO and DMO settings with a power output of 1 Watt. 2 questions below:

1. What is the best way to increase coverage (i know a repeater will help, but they are also banned) between these 2 devices?

2. Is there a way to set TMO between only these 2 radios rather than on DMO?

Any help or/and guidance would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!!!
Sponsored links
Old 11-30-2014, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstElder View Post
1. What is the best way to increase coverage (i know a repeater will help, but they are also banned) between these 2 devices?
Using a DMO Repeater, which is either a portable or, perhaps better, a mobile TETRA radio, preferably installed at a fixed location with a simple antenna system to provide coverage where you need it.

Quote:
2. Is there a way to set TMO between only these 2 radios rather than on DMO?
No.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:51 AM

Default Newbie on the Hytera PT580H

Racoon,

Thank you for taking time out to reply and answering my questions. I like the solution you presented, however due to some "stupid" reason the local Hytera dealer informed me that repeaters are banned in the Kingdom, which is beyond me at the moment.

Unless, there is a way to build a repeater in-house, it seems almost impossible to get a DMO repeater from Hytera.

I have had friends who attempted to bring in repeaters, but they got sent back from customs.

Truly, this is just annoying.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Racoon,

Thank you for taking time out to reply and answering my questions. I like the solution you presented, however due to some "stupid" reason the local Hytera dealer informed me that repeaters are banned in the Kingdom, which is beyond me at the moment.

Unless, there is a way to build a repeater in-house, it seems almost impossible to get a DMO repeater from Hytera.

I have had friends who attempted to bring in repeaters, but they got sent back from customs.

Truly, this is just annoying.
Just to clarify - a 'DMO repeater' is not a simple booster / RF amplifier that hangs on the wall but another TETRA terminal that acts as a repeater for DMO signals. If you are allowed to operate TETRA terminals in DMO anyway then I doubt that a TETRA terminal with DMO repeater function would be prohibited. Dunno though if Hytera offers terminals with that feature but Cassidian / Airbus, Motorola and Sepura do (maybe others as well).