• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Hytera linking repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

hytera1122

Cheers.

We have a couple deadspots in some of the basements in our farm. We have some large barns with concrete floor and staircase going down to a makeshift basement. We have a RD982 atop the largest point in the city nearby, but do have quite a bit of building interference between the 2 points (less than 2 miles)

I don't know where to start here.

Should we link another repeater as an additional site to the primary repeater? How would multicast work? What type of license would I need?
Can we link a receiver back to the repeater? License?
Looking for the most robust solution but obviously cost makes some difference.

Any help would be appreciated

Do you hear the repeated audio in the basements but can't talk out or is it bad in both directions?
Analog or DMR?
If you can hear OK then a PD982 with the single frequency repeater might be an option in DMR mode.

I setup a Trbo site connector system in the Dallas convention center for the same reason, users at one end in the basement could not hit repeaters at the far end on the top floor.

This systems needs a repeater at each site and IP connectivity so audio flows between each repeater.
Each site has its own frequency pair. A user radio scans for best RSL and xmts on that repeater. That repeater sends RX audio to the other repeater for TX.
This is also called vote scan.

hytera1122

Do you hear the repeated audio in the basements but can't talk out or is it bad in both directions?
Bad both directions.
Analog or DMR?
DMR

I setup a Trbo site connector system in the Dallas convention center for the same reason, users at one end in the basement could not hit repeaters at the far end on the top floor.
This systems needs a repeater at each site and IP connectivity so audio flows between each repeater.
Each site has its own frequency pair. A user radio scans for best RSL and xmts on that repeater. That repeater sends RX audio to the other repeater for TX.
This is also called vote scan.

Would this be in Hytera or Moto? We have a Hytera repeater and if I don't need to I wouldn't invest in Moto. But if need be I have no problem.

Hytera calls it IP multi site connect.

Is the repeater signal OK outside the barn or inside above ground? should have asked a better question.

I was hoping your signal was just bad on the uplink, a PD982 single freq repeater would have been a
cheaper solution.

Since you need help with both directions the cheapest solution would be what the
2 way industry calls a passive repeater, a yagi donor antenna from the repeater and an antenna in the basement linked by low loss coax. This would only work if your signal level in the basement was
about 6-9 dB under the radio's threshold.

The yagi would need to have 9 to 12 dBd gain since you would lose a couple dB in the coax and connectors. You might get by with a unity gain quarter wave in the basement, if not another yagi would
add gain.

Can you talk simplex from the basement to outside? Forgot to ask that too, probably should read the forum at 1pm instead of 1 am.

A pair of PD982s would be needed to pass both uplink and downlink. This cost is about the same as a
repeater but doesn't require the IP infrastructure and recurring costs.

The RD622 does IP, it's about $200 less than the RD982 but only 25 Watts, not sure why price isn't less.

Simulcast would need a GPS locked xmtr to maintain the < 1Hz freq difference required.
You put the 2nd repeater on a different freq pair, the portable scans for best RSSI and uses that repeater.
Repeated audio is sent to the other repeater over the IP link and goes out on that freq.

I might have a diagram from a user's guide, will look tonight.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Why not Wifi System? In Area where a large single hotspot not the best option is (Basement, Attic, Commercial Building,..) a System with many small Hotspot is better for a good Coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.