• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris to Hytera Firmware Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I have a Harris Momentum I want to convert to Hytera. Are there any documented procedures on how to do this? The Harris is currently using A5.00.15.001 firmware.

Thanks

Tim

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Have you done a search on the subject? I have seen a couple of articles while browsing.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Can it be done? Yes.... I've done a few of them. However it's tricky and can be a royal pain in the butt. Basically the older the firmware you have, the easier it is. I did it on a radio with V4 firmware and it wasn't too bad (you could just trick the updater into accepting the Harris model # as valid). The 2nd one I did I *think* was v5.something and it was definitely trickier.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Can it be done? Yes.... I've done a few of them. However it's tricky and can be a royal pain in the butt. Basically the older the firmware you have, the easier it is. I did it on a radio with V4 firmware and it wasn't too bad (you could just trick the updater into accepting the Harris model # as valid). The 2nd one I did I *think* was v5.something and it was definitely trickier.

The Harris radio has A5.00.15.001 in it. I'm all ears if you recall how you did the change.

Thanks,

Tim

timkilbride

Database Admin
I actually have one of both. The mobile is running A5 firmware and the handheld is running A7 firmware.

Tim

Hankrancher

Did you have any luck with this change? I have 4 HDM150's and a HDR150 I need to get programmed and hoping to get them into Hytera firmware as well.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
This may be a silly question, but why not just run it as a Harris?

Harris has dropped the Momentum DMR line so no further updates are available (their last released firmware/cps was v7.something). Meanwhile Hytera is still releasing updates and new features, so it's an appealing route to go.

The problem is that after (I think) firmware v6 rolled out they significantly changed their codeplug structure and firmware update process to prevent people from tinkering with things. It can be done, but it's a royal pain in the rear end and time consuming if you don't know what you are doing. The one REALLY nice thing with Hytera radios is that you can basically totally wipe the thing... firmware and all... and it'll still go into bootloader mode and let you restore backups, so it's actually pretty difficult to brick a unit. I bought an MD782 that was all sorts of messed up (I suspect someone tried to change the region & language packs on it and totally messed up) but after several months of of tinkering with it a little at a time I was finally able to get it running again (with the help of a few guys that are really versed in Hytera stuff).

If you wanted to attempt changing firmware you would need the firmware update packages, CPS, tuner and a program called Flashburn that lets you blindly read/write different modules from the radio. If the radio is just for ham use... honestly I'd say upgrade it to the last Harris release and be done with it. You'll save yourself a lot of stress that way!

ctrmass

Oh, I didnt know all of that.
I have 2 momentum mobiles I run as base stations.
VHF and UHF. Theyre both running off of the Harris CPS.
I have both V6 and V7 versions of the cps, but I didnt install V6 because of the way Hytera CPS's act when you update the cps.
Oddly enough, the Harris CPS hasn't affected my Hytera CPS I had previously installed.
When I open the Hytera cps, it'll show in the momentum "opened files" tab, but I cant open it.
FW is another story. I have no way to update.
Unless there's a way to put FW from 1 radio to the other. One of the radios'are up to date, the other is I believe 2 versions behind.

Edit: FWIW The Hytera V8 cps is MUCH more feature rich!

Status
Not open for further replies.