RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Hytera Forum

Hytera Forum - Discussion forum for Hytera radio equipment. Questions concerning their use on amateur radio networks and frequencies belong in the Digital Voice for Amateur Radio forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 8:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Buying to monitor commercial TRBO system

Hey guys, quick question. Instead of buying a expensive scanner just for DMR, would it be possible to program a DMR specific radio to monitor a commercial TRBO system.

My issue is that my 106 is not upgradeable for DMR and I dont have the need to upgrade to a new scanner other than wanting to monitor 1 TRBO system. With the information provided in the database, would it be possible to do what I want it to do? I saw in a older post (2015) where one of the forum members was able to do that on a DMR commercial system after obtaining all the information through DSD. I tried messaging him and have not heard back. I wasnt sure where else to put this other than a manufacturer specific forum and I have been looking at the Hytera radios for my purchase if this is possible.
Sponsored links
Old 06-08-2018, 8:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7096

This is the system in question.
Old 06-08-2018, 9:00 PM

As it states that it's a Motorola Connect plus system, you won't be able to do anything with a Hytera radio.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasday View Post
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7096

This is the system in question.
Old 06-08-2018, 9:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Ok. IF I could find a TRBO radio, would I be able to program it as needed? I think I know the answer if they protect the TRBO programming software like the software for their public safety radios.
Old 06-08-2018, 9:27 PM

Default Radio

Ok there are really only two ways to go about it... You can purchase yourself an updated scanner either Whistler with built in DMR or Uniden with the $40 DMR upgrade. The other way is get a MOTOTRBO or Hytera radio and enter the channels voice channels in as digital voice channels and assign them to a scan list (remember you must do both slots so program each channel twice, once for slot one and once for slot two).... then you assign all of those channels an RX list for the talkgroups you want to hear.... Hytera has psedeu trunk and would allow you to monitor both slots at the same time... A scanner is by far the best option is there is no way to program an Connect+ system as a monitor only as the system admin must add the serial number to the system controller. I work with a Connect+ system daily and have tried all methods just to see what works, the radios do miss transmissions all together at times, and often due to scan speed you will miss the first second of the transmission....
Sponsored links
Old 06-08-2018, 9:35 PM

Since you're now getting into "how do I program a Motorola Connect Plus radio", you should ask that in the Motorola forum. I don't do Motorola Connect plus so I can't answer your question.
Old 06-08-2018, 9:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thank you mswin_blake. I appreciate the info. So basically i can but I might as well bite the bullet. I was trying avoid spending any more than I needed to and wanted to get all the information I could before making that decision. Thank you sir.

Dont worry MSS-Dave, it wont need to go any further. I got the information I needed to make the decision of scanner vs commercial radio.