• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom Software Compatibility Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I had a question about the Software versus the Firmware on the Radio.

I plan on getting an Icom F-5061 mobile Radio. The Software, which all that comes up on a Google search, is a revision 1.0, and I am unsure if this is the latest or not. Now I have heard that there is a newer version of this software, though I am unsure of the version number.

I have also heard that there was a firmware update for the Icom F-5061. My question is is that if the Radio has a Firmware too new for the Old revision software to read/write from, would this pose a problem?

The reason I ask is because I will probably not be able to get the Firmware version of the radio until I receive it. Also the websites selling the software do not state the Software version. I am curious as to who has the F-5061 (VHF Mobile) or F-6061 (UHF Mobile) using the Software CS-F5060. I would like to know what software revision you are using and what the firmware of your radio is, if possible, and your experience with the two interfacing with each other.

Even if you don't have this specific radio, I am sure that if you own an Icom Commercial Grade Radio, you may be able to shed some light.

NOTE: I am NOT asking for Software, and I have NOT downloaded the Software, only searched for the Revisions on it, just fyi for the mods.

Thanks in advance! :)

--linkinpark9812

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
When the F3161 portable radios came out the F5061 was upgraded to 2.x firmware which makes the portables and mobiles more or less cross-compatible. You can use the same firmware and software on 2.x F5061's and F3161's. 1.x firmware is very outdated and requires separate 1.x software that only works with the F5061.

Long story short, you should upgrade the firmware to 2.x if necessary. You'll get a ton of new features, better performance, and you can share programming between F5061's and F3161's with 2.x firmware/software. Firmware can be obtained from dealers for free. Software can be purchased from dealers, but some dealers may let you upgrade from older software to a newer version for no charge -- but that's up to each dealer.

Latest 1.x firmware: 1.3
Latest 1.x software: 1.1

Latest 2.x firmware: 2.6
Latest 2.x software: 2.4

fineshot1

If you but the radio new from a dealer they should come with the latest version firmware on the radio

Not always - this depends on how long the radio has been in stock and or been in storage at the dealer and when / how often firmware updates are released. Too many variables to nail that down to an absolute.

Thanks for the Information!

I plan on buying the Radio from a reputible eBay dealer. I heard that the shops sometimes do not sell the LM Radios to "normal folk" because of the wide TX range. I want it because I need it for the Ham band and I would like commercial quality equipment. I heard Icom is somewhat restrictive on selling Software to consumers, but I may be wrong. Chinese telephone can mess up good information nowadays....

So you are saying that if I do buy the Radio online, and lets say I get it and it has outdated firmware, I can go to an Icom dealer, and THEY will update it for free? Or will they give me the file and I install it myself by plugging the radio into the computer (like channel programming). Also they will let me buy the Latest Software from them as well? Online, I have seen the software between $40-$70, so is it up to the dealer for the price or is there a set price?

Thanks for all the information so far.

By the way, how would you check the Firmware of the Radio (Button Combo)?

Thanks in Advance! :)

--linkinpark9812

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
Yes pres P0 and P3 ans turn the radio on it will tell you all the information.

Icom is not that restrictive on their software.Any dealer should be able to sell you a cop of the software and make sure your radio has the latest firmware

Yes pres P0 and P3 ans turn the radio on it will tell you all the information.

Icom is not that restrictive on their software.Any dealer should be able to sell you a cop of the software and make sure your radio has the latest firmware

Ok Thanks a lot. I will probably talk to an Icom Dealer (one is about 10 miles from my house!) before I buy the radio just to see what there prices are and maybe i could even get the radio there for around the same price as online! That would be nice.

So basically I would want to get the 2.6 Firmware for the Radio as well as the 2.4 Revision Software. As N2DLX was saying, i think, that the F-5060 Software and Firmware will work with the portable version of the radio (3160), which I plan on getting in the future, which is nice considering I would only have to buy the software and get the firmware and they can be used with both radios.

If anyone else has any more information or insight, please post!

Thanks to everyone so far for the Information. It is helping out a lot, as I have searched Google and these forums and could not find it discussed very much.

--linkinpark9812

[EDIT] To fireandems13669: I was looking at your website and your price for that Radio seems pretty reasonable, I was wondering if you sell the Software and have the Radio Firmware as well, and if you can ship the Radio, Software and Firmware. Note that I am probably NOT going to buy the radio for a little while (depending on funds), but I was just wondering. You can PM if you would rather not discuss prices or what you sell atm on the public forums. Thanks!

Last edited:

RADIOGUY2002

You going to need

Your going to need two different cables for programing, where are you at and whats your profession, pm me.

You can get the mobile radio as cheap as 369.00 if you do some good seraching. Also, be adivised their offering rebates right as well until March 31st.

And please get firmware version 2.2 and make sure that is what your getting. You may need to flash your radio for the upgrade as well, depending on stock of the dealer.

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
2.2 is old firmware. 2.6 is the latest and fixes some problems, like MDC1200 not working during or after entering scan mode. 2.6 is very stable.

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
2.6 is the latest firmware correct

I see you originally posted 2.4 and corrected yourself.

Version 2.6 was released to remove non-functional menu items when you enter the Digital menu (like Talkgroup Radio Check [not possible]) and fixed the problem introduced with 2.4 where MDC1200 stopped decoding when scan was used.

I identified the MDC problem and brought it to Icom's attention, prompting that update.

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
It just takes 5 seconds to read thoroughly. You have 2.2 and 2.3 firmware in your radios (as per your PM), which is why you never saw the MDC problem which was introduced in version 2.4. 2.6 fixed the problem, if it even applies to you.

RADIOGUY2002

Yea, I gather that much

Yea, I gather that much. So, I take the software is up to date. I deal with it on Monday and get the most update stuff from my connections since you don't want to share. My customers are number one.....

N2DLX

Premium Subscriber
Latest software is 2.4, also stated earlier in this thread. Not 2.2, as per your PM.

w5han

I sucessfully program the f5061 (vhf) daily for my employers vehicles, I aquired an icom f 6061 (uhf) I am having a problem programming the 6061 with 5061 software and I have 2.8 version of the f 5061.

I have a icom rep telling me you can program the f6061 with the f 5061 software, anyone run into this?

The software will read but will not write ?

RADIOGUY2002

yes, the 5061/6061 series is the same programing utility. Does the software match the firmware version above mentioned. 3.0 is the latest firmware that I'm aware of at this point.

RodStrong

I sucessfully program the f5061 (vhf) daily for my employers vehicles, I aquired an icom f 6061 (uhf) I am having a problem programming the 6061 with 5061 software and I have 2.8 version of the f 5061.

I have a icom rep telling me you can program the f6061 with the f 5061 software, anyone run into this?

The software will read but will not write ?

It's definitely the same software for both the UHF and the VHF models. Good luck.

w5han

Thanks for your reply

I overlooked the fact that I had firmware issue. The radio had 1.0 so I upgraded to 2.8 and it programmed perfect! Thank you so much for the reply again sorry I got back soooo late to say thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.