• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ICOM IC-F121 Any Reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
I think it works well .They are a simple radio to meet the basic users needs.

Just have to make sure allt he settings are correct to get the best preformance!

I never had any problems with mine

RodStrong

The only things I don't like about them (this is based on the UHF F221) is there is not an icon on the display for talkaround, and there is not an icon on the display to show if a channel is in a scan list when you are attempting to manually program the scan list. The only way to tell if a channel is actually in a scan list (or not) is to push the scan add/delete button and find out, which is a pain to do for every single channel.

The last thing I don't like is I can't seem to get it to resume scanning when putting the mic back on hook. There is a setting where you can program the radio to scan every time you put the mic on the hook, but that is not good if you don't always want to scan. There may be a way around this, but I haven't figured out what it is yet.

Other than those things, it seems like a great little rig.

BUCKSHOT_106

I learned this while installing this radio. For the "hook" scan feature to be active the mic bracket has to be grounded to 12v-. this setting allows the radio to resume scanning when the mic is attached back to the mic holder. Hope this helps!

Thanks,
BUCKSHOT_106

DODGEIT

The only thing I have read negatively is that some don't like the programming software saying it is not user friendly. Other then that only positive comments about the radio.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
No,there is not an icon on the display for direct or talkaround, but it does default back when in scan or turned back on.

The software is a cinch, you can expand or reduce banks by adding or subtracting in a cell like fashion. The codeplug has a fast download and upload rate, like 30 secs. Really fast compared to other brands

I'm not sure I like the vol setting with the 121/221 as it is on my Icom 1020. I tweaked the AF level on the F221 but it still needs more oomph even with an external Mot speaker.

I wish I could find a f2020 160 ch model

The last thing I don't like is I can't seem to get it to resume scanning when putting the mic back on hook. There is a setting where you can program the radio to scan every time you put the mic on the hook, but that is not good if you don't always want to scan. There may be a way around this, but I haven't figured out what it is yet. /QUOTE]

Did you ground the Mic Mount? You have to ground the Mic Mount to the Vehicle Chassis for those Mic-On/Mic-Off features to work.

RodStrong

Did you ground the Mic Mount? You have to ground the Mic Mount to the Vehicle Chassis for those Mic-On/Mic-Off features to work.

Thanks for asking but yes, the mic is grounded. The 121/221 series does not allow for on hook resume scanning (resume is the key word here, not forced scanning on hook) as far as I'm aware. I would love for someone to prove me wrong, as this is the major reason (minor reasons mentioned above as well) I will not purchase this model for the agency I work for.

silverbk

Premium Subscriber
I have about 50 of these radios in the field. I have not gotten any of them back for repairs or any other reason. They hold up well. They have quite a few features that make them a great radio. Firefighters like the two tone decode. Hams like the ability to program 2m and 70cm repeaters without mods.

They fit into consoles, havis and jotto make faceplates.

The US Coast Guard Auxiliary has approved this radio for mobile facilities.

They will do MDC-1200 with an accessory board. They will do LTR trunking (with accessory board) even though Icom says it can't be done. I have it working on my town's LTR system.

Do not get the 521 or 621 thinking you are getting a better radio, they have inferior finals and nothing but trouble.

An Ebay review eBay Guides - Icom IC-F121 and 221

I;m not sure what you mean by resume scan, but the radio will not scan period unless the mic hanger is grounded.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I ground my mic hanger. It is set up to scan when hung up. There is also one of the P keys that I programmed to resume scan as well

RodStrong

I;m not sure what you mean by resume scan, but the radio will not scan period unless the mic hanger is grounded.

What I mean by "resume" scan is when you are in scan mode, you pick the mic off the hook. It stops scanning. You talk or whatever, then put the mic back on the hook. It will not start scanning again UNLESS you have it programmed to force scan when the mic is put on hook, which I do not want.

If it's programmed to force scan when put on hook, that sucks for those that don't want the radio to scan all the time, or don't want it to scan at all. There are plenty of novice users who do not want, nor do not need the radio to be scanning, and forcing it to scan on hook can cause confusion.

For example, look at the Maxtrac. Ground the mic, and if you are on scan, you pick the mic off the hook, it stops scanning. You put the mic back on hook, it starts scanning again. Same for FTL's and many other Vertexes. But if you're not scanning, taking the mic on/off the hook doesn't change anything (other than monitor state). Pretty simple and common, but someone spaced this out when they made the F121/221 series. I've got a few F5061/6061's, and they can be programmed to resume scan on hook.

These are the only radios I've ever worked with that do not resume scanning when the mic is put back on hook (those that stop scan when off hook that is).

Last edited:

silverbk

Premium Subscriber
I will try and duplicate your problem. I will also discuss it with my Icom guru. It's possible that the radio can do it with an undocumented feature or workaround. It is not uncommon for Icom or any radio manufacturer to not know their product 100%.

For example Icom told me that LTR trunking on a 221 is impossible. I have it working. Vertex told me that a vx-920 cannot be used outside the rated bandsplit. I have my uhf working on 70 cm repeaters. Although this would be considered an outright hack.

RodStrong

I will try and duplicate your problem. I will also discuss it with my Icom guru. It's possible that the radio can do it with an undocumented feature or workaround. It is not uncommon for Icom or any radio manufacturer to not know their product 100%.

For example Icom told me that LTR trunking on a 221 is impossible. I have it working. Vertex told me that a vx-920 cannot be used outside the rated bandsplit. I have my uhf working on 70 cm repeaters. Although this would be considered an outright hack.

Thanks for looking into it. I have brought it up to my Icom dealer's attention, with no new results. I think he was going to bring it up to company reps. I simply think Icom goofed when making this model. To be in scan mode, take the mic off hook, put it back, and then have to push the scan button to get it to scan again is silly, and I've never, ever seen another radio that does this.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
Rod, I'll play around with the program. Its possible that programming one of the P buttons will start or stop a scan. It's that way on my f1020

Right now I have P2 as "scan start/stop" The hanger action box in the scan category can be clicked on or off. It was "ON" I'll program it tonight to see if what happens to a grounded mic when turned "off"

Last edited:

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I just programmed it up that way, which is programmable in CS-F100 "common" settings under "key and display" assignments, then I programmed one of the "P" keys (1 of 4) to "SCAN A Start/Stop" then under "Hanger Action", scan is clicked "OFF" It will only scan now when P2, in my case is depressed.

RodStrong

Ok, I just programmed it up that way, which is programmable in CS-F100 "common" settings under "key and display" assignments, then I programmed one of the "P" keys (1 of 4) to "SCAN A Start/Stop" then under "Hanger Action", scan is clicked "OFF"

It will only scan now when P2, in my case is depressed.

That is exactly the problem. After returning the mic to the hook, it won't resume scanning unless you physically push a scan button to start it scanning again. Should not be the case. It should automatically resume scanning on it's own, like the other radios I mentioned in an earlier post do. I think this is an oversight by the Icom engineers, and hopefully someday they will remedy this.

Thanks very much for trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.