• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

The narrowband programming in the software

Status
Not open for further replies.

omi713nm

A quick question on the programming software. With narrowband just around the corner, was just wondering if I am correct on this:

You have a channel that you talk to your dispatch with on a regular basis and it is set to Wide at this time. You decide to change Wide to Narrow on the programming. OK, here is the question:
when you transmit to dispatch, does the radio convert the frequencies to Narrowband or do you need to program the narrowband frequencies in and place the programming to N when you program the radio?

iamhere300

A quick question on the programming software. With narrowband just around the corner, was just wondering if I am correct on this:

You have a channel that you talk to your dispatch with on a regular basis and it is set to Wide at this time. You decide to change Wide to Narrow on the programming. OK, here is the question:
when you transmit to dispatch, does the radio convert the frequencies to Narrowband or do you need to program the narrowband frequencies in and place the programming to N when you program the radio?

Lets say you are wideband on 158.7575

You must but the N in to change it to Narrowband.

Same thing with say 156.000

omi713nm

OK, but when you transmit, does the radio, when in narrowband and you have the same frequencies on that channel, does the radio convert the old frequencies to narrowband or do I need to do the math, change the "old" frequencies to narrowband and keep the column on the software to N?
(Sorry, I can see what I am trying to say, but putting it in words is a little confusing)

nbruark

iamhere300

OK, but when you transmit, does the radio, when in narrowband and you have the same frequencies on that channel, does the radio convert the old frequencies to narrowband or do I need to do the math, change the "old" frequencies to narrowband and keep the column on the software to N?
(Sorry, I can see what I am trying to say, but putting it in words is a little confusing)

There should be no math. If you are presently on wideband 156.1000 and go narrowband on the same frequency, it will still be 156.1000 - no change except you make it (N)

What is tripping up a LOT of people - the actual frequency does not designate narrow or wideband.

453.1125 - four digits to the right of the the period, does NOT mean it is a narrowband channel. We
see a lot of people claiming that they can program their two way radio to a frequency like that - and then claiming their radio will do narrowband.

IE, there is no "math" to be done.

Duster40

Maybe this will help folks understand narrowing-banding.....I'll use one of the mutual-aid fire frequencies
as an example...154.280.
My 'home' is located at 280 on 154th St....& the government has given me a yard 10 feet wide....
275 to 280 to 285......that's 10 feet. Now the government has decided that I don't need a yard
that big, & since they need more space, they are moving my fences in 2 & 1/2 feet on each side,
leaving me a yard 5 feet wide......I've been narrowed...& my address is still the same..280 on 154th St.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
There's no need to change the programmed frequency when switching from wideband to narrowband, since the frequency you enter is the CENTER frequency of the channel regardless of bandwidth. The center remains the same, only the width of the channel changes.

Audio issues that are possible with a mismatch between wide and narrowband are as follows:

Narrowband radio receives wideband signal: Squelch blocking may occur when deviation peaks get high enough. The receiver may mute out if it hears too much modulation.

Wideband radio receives narrowband signal: Received audio level will be low. You may have to turn
up the volume.

Elroy

Status
Not open for further replies.