• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IC-F2020 & IC-F1020 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxone

Hi All,

I have recently acquired an old stockpile of a bunch of icom IC-F202 and icom IC-F1020 radios including the software and programming cable for them. I'm running into several issues and dont know how to fix it.

1) I've loaded the programming software up onto my computer and attempted to download the program from the radio into the software. I'm getting an error "illegal data." Any ideas in how to correct this?

2) one of the F2020 upon power up displays "CLONE NG" I cant figure out how to fix this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can program these radios, I have several projects in mind, but until i can program these things, I'm at a dead end.

Thanks for your help!

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
The older radios like being run in a slower processor, like a 486 mhz. They like true DOS if possible too although a friend of mine got his to work by running the program in win95 on his new laptop. The CLONE NG I think I have encountered meaning the radio didn't take the data correctly.

It just needs to be read or written properly to fix. Try to run the program in a slower machine to see what happens. It's been awhile since I programmed my 2 radios but they are built like tanks and have good sensitivity. Just the upload and download was a ***** compared to say the newer Icoms which can run fine in Windows.

foxone

hmm, the software i got with it was CS-F100 v1.7 which runs in windows. i did try installig it on a old 500mhz computer i have running windows 98 and i had no luck with programming. On my own research, i was wondering if this was the wrong software for these radios and i guess thats true. what is the software name and version i should be using for these radios?

Thanks!

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
Mine is older, EX1764. CS100 works on my newer, F121/221 I'd say its the wrong software

foxone

Thanks for your quick response. I guess I'll have to check with icom to see if I can still get this software. Do you know of any other sources I should try?

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like you have the wrong stuff.

Icom-America Knowledge Base Article 5ADC363173; Dealer Access

Issue: F1020/F2020 Cloning and Adjust Software

Resolution
CS-F1000 Cloning Software; The file name shows the version number. The current version is: Clone Software 2.2

Cloning Cable: OPC-478+OPC-592

-----------

The actual DOS software is CFS1000.EXE

The correct software will show:
"CS-F1000 Rev.2.2 (IC-F1000 Rev.1-2)" at the top.

It is not as picky as some other manufacturer's software. I've found the DOS software works just fine on XP in a DOS window and the OPC-478 serial cable, but not with the USB cable. The F-1020/2020's do NOT use the same cable as the current Icom mobiles. You must use the OPC-478 1-pin portable cable with the OPC-592 1-pin to RJ-45 adapter. The newer OPC-1122 serial to RJ-45 mobile cable will simply NOT work.

While not the sharpest knife in Icom's drawer, the later F-1000 versions will narrow-band and are still fairly decent radios with the typically superb Icom receiver front end. See your local dealer to get the right cable and software.

"CLONE NG" simply means Clone No-Good. There is no valid flash in the radio. Reprogramming will fix this, and you don't need an old code plug to start with, like Mother's radios.

CS-F100 v1.7 is the most recent Windows software for the F-121/221 display radios. It will not even work on the F-121S/221S 4-channel version of the same radio series, much less the F-1020/2020's.

If all the right stuff doesn't work move on to another radio. The fix is 1/3 the price of a shiny new radio.

foxone

The information I'm receiving here and elsewhere is not matching up. I currently have a OPC1122 cable. According to the RJ45 pinout I have (assuming it matches my radio) the opc1122 is using 4 pins, 1 pin being CLI and a second pin as CLO being referred to as the programming in and out for the PC. Keeping that in mind, I am able to communicate with the radios using hyperterminal. When I change the channel on the radio, I can read the chance in hyperterminal, and when i press enter in hyperterminal, i get a response from the radio. Based on this, this proves to me that the data Tx and Rx of the OPC1122 cable is working with the radio.

Now when i research the OPC592 and OPC478 cable, I'm getting information that the I/O is only on pin 2 of the RJ45 which based on my pinout is labeled as CLO "output port for pc programming." This makes me wonder how this cable will even work with the radio.

I just want to make sure I'm getting the right information.

I have 12 of these radios total, and I don't need that many door stops.

Thanks!

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
The information I'm receiving here and elsewhere is not matching up. I currently have a OPC1122 cable. According to the RJ45 pinout I have (assuming it matches my radio) the opc1122 is using 4 pins, 1 pin being CLI and a second pin as CLO being referred to as the programming in and out for the PC. Keeping that in mind, I am able to communicate with the radios using hyperterminal. When I change the channel on the radio, I can read the chance in hyperterminal, and when i press enter in hyperterminal, i get a response from the radio. Based on this, this proves to me that the data Tx and Rx of the OPC1122 cable is working with the radio.

Now when i research the OPC592 and OPC478 cable, I'm getting information that the I/O is only on pin 2 of the RJ45 which based on my pinout is labeled as CLO "output port for pc programming." This makes me wonder how this cable will even work with the radio.

I just want to make sure I'm getting the right information.

I have 12 of these radios total, and I don't need that many door stops.

Thanks!

I've got eight years as an Icom tech. Trust me, the OPC1122 will not clone the F1000-series (or the F300-series, or FR3000's). I've had to drive back to the shop more than once because I forgot that pesky OPC592 3.5mm to RJ-45 adapter, The serial port may see data, but won't tell the radio to download or write to it. There are only two connected wires in use, ground and bi-directional data.

The top part of my last post is copy/paste right out of Icom's dealer knowledge base

Beware of some eBay cables- they will work on current offering but not the older stuff.

Check your PM's. I sent you some additional info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.