• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom ic-f50v

Status
Not open for further replies.

L0gical1

hello everyone.
i just got my hands on an icom ic-f50v. took it from a friend of mine he used to use it at work. i started looking online on any info there's not much available except for the user manual and programing cable/ software sale pages. i got a programing cable and software, but i'm having trouble connecting the radio to my pc. and i can't find any info online about any of it. for some reason i think the cable is not the right one. the software is definitely the right one. i'm just completely stuck with this =(.

this is my first post here. but i've been roaming this forum for a while now. if i made any mistakes posting this please go easy on me =).

i have some experience with radios and programing functions curently own yaesu vx-2 & 3 + the radioshack brick =). but can't figure out this radio. the cable connects to the usb and i think i have the right serial to usb drivers (well it shows up on com5 on my pc) but the soft tells me there's no radio on com5....
any help would be appreciated!!!
thank you.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
this is my first post here. but i've been roaming this forum for a while now. if i made any mistakes posting this please go easy on me =).
Welcome to Radio Reference. We have a ton of forums so it's important you pick the best applicable one to post in. The forum you posted in is titled "ICOM Receivers" and indicates in the description to use another for transceivers. I would recommend taking a few moments to look over all of our forums and get acquainted with them so that when you do create a new thread it will be in a forum you'll get the best feedback from. Thanks.

Moved to the C&P ICOM forum.

sheridanvfd

Make sure that the cables you have are the following: opc-966u... You can also try changing the port, from 5 to anything that is open. Just right click on port that is occupied by the usb and go to properties, in there you should find a button called advanced. Just make sure to do the same in the cloning software.

ozitracker

Re Programming IC-50V

Use the ICOM OPC-966U USB cable.
Before you start the cloning software, hold down the PO button and then turn on the radio.

iamhere300

Use the ICOM OPC-966U USB cable.
Before you start the cloning software, hold down the PO button and then turn on the radio.

Why in the world would you have to do that?

Anyways - a common problem with the F50's was the accy connector solder connections, which cause speaker mics not to work, and programming cables not to work.

Can you get your hands on a known good setup, or radio?

ozitracker

Why in the world would you have to do that?

Anyways - a common problem with the F50's was the accy connector solder connections, which cause speaker mics not to work, and programming cables not to work.

Can you get your hands on a known good setup, or radio?
When programming most ICOM commercial portable radios you have to hold down the PO button,
then turn on the radio. If not, you can not read or write to the radio. It is mentioned in the cloning
software instructions,

mjthomas59

I use to fight constantly with programming Icom radios. The hardest part is getting the USB cable to interface with your computer. Plug the cable into your computer and wait for your computer to recognize cable. Its either going to say something along the lines of "your device was installed and ready to use" or "your device was not recognized". This displays automatically on my computer running Windows Vista. If it doesn't show up on your computer you can go into device manager and check. My computer says "Prolific USB-to-Serial Bridge" under the ports tab within device manager. Check to make sure it has installed properly, if it hasn't there is usually a little yellow icon with an exclamation point. If it hasn't installed properly then the issue is with your serial to usb drivers. Try different versions to see what works on your computer. I had to search the internet for weeks until I found an old driver that was published around 2005 for the cable to work with my computer.

If that isn't your issue then I would double check and make sure your radio is turned on when you are trying to read/write it. Also do you have the latest Icom software version? Revision 3.1 is the newest as far as I know for the f-50v. If the radio was programmed using the newest software and you have an older software version then it won't work, at least from my experience and what others have said on this forum.

Beyond that it could be a problem with the radio itself. Can you read or write to the radio? There is an option in the software which allows the programmer to disable the "data out". If the last person who programmed the radio clicked that box then you won't be able to read the radio. I'm not sure of what error message you would get if that were the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the "no radio detected" message."

Good luck!

iamhere300

When programming most ICOM commercial portable radios you have to hold down the PO button,
then turn on the radio. If not, you can not read or write to the radio. It is mentioned in the cloning
software instructions,

There is no current production ICOM Commercial LMR radio that requires this. I am not as well versed with the older gear, but not aware of any of the older Icom gear that is.

The F50 is most certainly not requiring this.

nevets10

Premium Subscriber
There is no current production ICOM Commercial LMR radio that requires this. I am not as well versed with the older gear, but not aware of any of the older Icom gear that is.

The F50 is most certainly not requiring this.

Agree 100%

ETO

I use to fight constantly with programming Icom radios. ....

Beyond that it could be a problem with the radio itself. Can you read or write to the radio? There is an option in the software which allows the programmer to disable the "data out". If the last person who programmed the radio clicked that box then you won't be able to read the radio. I'm not sure of what error message you would get if that were the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the "no radio detected" message."

Good luck!

Gentlemen!

How can I be sure that is the issue?! I am having IC-F60 radios (coming pre programmed from the supplier). I purchased the cloning cable (OPC-966U) and the software (CS-F50 rev.2.1.). Using Windows XP prof 32bit ver. The system recognising the cable; standard setting: Icom USB-to-Serial Comm. Port (Com2) (standard settings, even tried 4800bps)
I can read the Clone Information (Model: BIIS PMR; Revision: 1.1; Scrambler: Inversion UT-110 Compatible)
But as soon as I want to download the program from the radio the status bar apearing Cloning...and just an error message: No answer from transceiver. Check the following: -The com port setting; - Cloning cable connection; -Transceiver power is on

I tried every trick.... if the memory is inhibited how can I crack it?! The supplier doesnt want to give me the program, although I gave one original radio to them to clone... Each time cost me 650,- € the radio with the program...

Sorry for the pour English and if I was to long...
Regards
Tom

grumps96

Download speed

Gentlemen!

How can I be sure that is the issue?! I am having IC-F60 radios (coming pre programmed from the supplier). I purchased the cloning cable (OPC-966U) and the software (CS-F50 rev.2.1.). Using Windows XP prof 32bit ver. The system recognising the cable; standard setting: Icom USB-to-Serial Comm. Port (Com2) (standard settings, even tried 4800bps)
I can read the Clone Information (Model: BIIS PMR; Revision: 1.1; Scrambler: Inversion UT-110 Compatible)
But as soon as I want to download the program from the radio the status bar apearing Cloning...and just an error message: No answer from transceiver. Check the following: -The com port setting; - Cloning cable connection; -Transceiver power is on

I tried every trick.... if the memory is inhibited how can I crack it?! The supplier doesnt want to give me the program, although I gave one original radio to them to clone... Each time cost me 650,- € the radio with the program...

Sorry for the pour English and if I was to long...
Regards
Tom

Hi Tom,
Check your download speed, Open the Com Port Menu and at the bottom you will see download speed,
select normal speed rather than high speed. see if that works.

~Grump96

ETO

Hi ~Grump96!

I am very confused! All the radios are IC-F60 's. The serial numbers are in a big variety. I suppose some of the radios are old 3-4 years old some of the are new from last year. The software which I purchased is CS-F50 rev 2.1 with this software finally I managed to read and write one old radio. The new radios I can not read. Where can I check which modell is compatible with wich software?! Is there any newer version than 2.1??

Thank You for your help any way. It wasn't the connection speed. I think is more a version compatibility issue. I also don't know if the physical connection between the cabel and the radio interface is working 100%. Some radios having problems with the headsets as well. It is not cheap just replace 30 radios and headsets ... :(

Regards
Tom

NCFire11

Does the radio beep when you try to read it? Are you on the right port, with the current software? It is a lot that can go wrong we just have to narrow it down.

ETO

Jtsou

I just did a message befor, because I am new my threads waiting for moderation :)

When I turn the radio on while i am using OPC-966U cable no beep (I suppose than there is a good connection between radio and cable. When I start download the memory no beep, (Funny thing is I can read the Clone Information ...) On the other hand with the CS-F50MDC rev:2.0 I can clone the older radios...

gmrsoutlet

What are the first 2 digits of the serial numbers?

You may have radios that have the MDC function and are using the non-MDC software, or non-MDC radios and you are trying to use the software for MDC equipped radios.

The first 2 digits of the serial number identify the exact version of the radio that you have. With that information I can tell you what software you actually need for these radios. If you have several different beginning numbers - supply them all so I/we can tell you what is what.

No need to post the entire serial numbers to the forums, just the first to digits.

Also - as stated - if the DATA-OUT is inhibited by the dealer, you will not be able to read the radios at all, and you would be getting the error message that you are getting (just a generic - can't read the radio message).

davlankford

If you can read the radio info, the cable and connection are good. If data out is inhibited, just create a new programming file with any frequency in it and write to radio. Just make sure that data out is not inhibited and after that you should be able to read the radio.

ETO

Here are a few s/n's:
020xxxx
220xxxx
610xxxx

Further more I managed to read the 220xxxx series radios with CS-F50MDC rev2.0 saved the memory content but couldn't open with another software CS-F50 rev2.1... Are the .icf files compatible with every cloning software?! I tought I can copy the config from one type to the other...

davlankford

No, the .icf files are not cross compatible with all softwares. You can't even copy and paste across two different softwares, which is one thing I wish could be done.

DavidTag

I am having the same problem with my IC-F50 radios. The error I'm getting is "Connected transceiver is not compatible model". I know it's talking to my computer because if I select the wrong COM port I get "No answer from transceiver". Also, if I use the Ver 2.0 Adjust program I can read the voltages and can perform sweeps, etc. All are running Firmware Rev. 2.1 and all serial numbers start with "21". Can anyone help me? I need to switch over to narrowband.

Status
Not open for further replies.