• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming an Icom F3

Status
Not open for further replies.

troopr1954

Hello,
I have just downloaded the software to program this radio, and have all the necessary cables. When hooked up, the software will not recognise that the radio is connected, and consequently I cannot proceed to read it's contents.The radio is in dealer mode, but the screen gives me the following error message: NOT INSTALLED
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, and assist me to program this radio?
Thanks
Simon

troopr1954

Hmmmm......disappointing.

very frustrating to have 97 people look at my request for help, and yet no replies??

iamhere300

A quick search will show that the most common issue is the communications with the computer, not the radio.

What is your programming set up? Computer? USB or Serial? What port?

troopr1954

Re; Programming setup

I have the software downloaded from a Russian site...Radio connected to a serial port on Com1 on the computer running Windows XP. Seems to load in a Dos window but when I try to connect the radio I get an error message that says " File xxxx does not exist in same directory" I have tried changing Com ports to Com 2 with no success

iamhere300

I have the software downloaded from a Russian site...Radio connected to a serial port on Com1 on the computer running Windows XP. Seems to load in a Dos window but when I try to connect the radio I get an error message that says " File xxxx does not exist in same directory" I have tried changing Com ports to Com 2 with no success

A true serial port, not a USB adapter?

KD8PVX

Yes, exact error message may help. Even a screen print out / capture may work even better such as "Alt" + "Print Screen" open up an image editor (I believe Paint Brush is windows default) paste it, save it, and attach the image to a message.

Some suggestions:

Make sure permissions for the directory and file it needs are correctly set. Try enabling to write permissions besides just read.

Also you mentioned it comes up with a DOS screen and my suggestion I am about to make should make no difference since it has been years for windows to have this limitation, but... Maybe try installing / moving the program to a directory in C:\ with a name that is 8 charters or less.

I hope these suggestions help. If not someone around here will have better ideas. It has been quite some time since I have worked with serial ports. I will help out as much as I can.

troopr1954

Re: Programming problems with F320

Hi Everyone

Here's the error message I'm getting when I try and enter programming mode...the radio is in dealer mode (Set Mode). I guess I'm really not sure what file from the software I should be using...I'm currently trying ICCF300.exe.....the other .exe files do not appear to want to open??
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• F320 error message.doc
    39 KB · Views: 467

troopr1954

Yes....several .exe files all in the same icom software zip file....but the iccf300.exe is the only file that will open.

grumps96

Hi Simon, Could you tell me what the exact model number shown on the back of your radio is, and what the
exact csf# you are Using?

troopr1954

The number on the back of the unit is IC-F-320-6...and the only file from the icom software I was sent that I can open is ICCF300.exe. Hope this helps

grumps96

Hi Simon, From what I can see there is a sofware problem, try removing the software and then installing it from the unzip file again. you should definitely see the CSF300.exe in the install. ~JC

KD8PVX

Yes....several .exe files all in the same icom software zip file....but the iccf300.exe is the only file that will open.

Since you did say the same zip file I just want to be sure that you are doing this step. Are you extracting the zip file contents to a folder on the hard drive? Or are you just running it from the zip file?

From what I see in the title bar it appears as though you may be running it from the zip which extracts one file at a time and will not be able to find the other files. If I am wrong I apologize. I just like to make sure something is not over looked.

Try creating a folder in the root C:\ called "icf300" and extracting the contents to that folder meaning unzip the file to c:\icf300 Then load command prompt, go to the directory by typing "cd \icf300", and load the program by typing ICCF300

Let us know if that works or maybe someone else may have a better solution.

troopr1954

Absolutely bang on!!! Thanks so much...I was indeed running just the one file directly from the zip...once I followed your instructions and saved the file to C: everything fell into place.Appreciate your patience and your help.

troopr1954

So now another issue...I assume I can utilize the same software to program a portable F3....when I try to do this I get another error message -
"Check the Following:
The RS-232 port settings
Cloning cable connections
more than 20 k of disc space free?"
I have changed the com port to Com2 but to no avail....any ideas?

KD8PVX

From what I understand after researching the web DOS programs have a big problem trying to access almost any hardware in any MS Windows newer than 95. What happens is the operating system puts the DOS apps in some what of a virtual emulator and causes a wall between the app & the hardware.

Here are a couple of my resources:
Accessing RS-232 in a DOS window under Windows XP
http://forums.radioreference.com/icom-forum/185202-icom-ic-f320-softwre-help.html

Now there MAY be something out there now that helps DOS apps work just like the old days, but this is where my capabilities end.

- Bill

grumps96

Simon, I have not programmed any icom radios with the DOS based programs, But I have done so with Motorola, and I can tell you the DOS based software does not work on windows DOS emulator. I have an old
IBM 560 Thinkpad with windows 95 that I use for the DOS Programming. It works fine. Check with some of your local friends to see if one of them has an older computer you can use. if so then copy the programming file to a 3.5" floppy and try it on the borrowed Machine.
~John

Status
Not open for further replies.