RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > ICOM Land Mobile Radio


ICOM Land Mobile Radio - Discussion forum for ICOM land mobile radio equipment such as the IC-F series radios. Please do not post amateur radio topics here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2014, 3:10 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westfield, Ma
Posts: 263
Default

I got zero PM's jeatock
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 10-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westfield, Ma
Posts: 263
Default

Jeatock, the PM system appears to be broken. You can email me directly at " rick at lioby dot com "
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2014, 8:38 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westfield, Ma
Posts: 263
Default

I noticed recently that the F3021 has been discontinued completely and replaced with the F3031. I would suspect that the F3031 will not do WFM at all.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2015, 2:29 PM
MTS2000des's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cobb County, GA Stadium Crime Zone
Posts: 3,211
Default

So not to bring back too old a thread, but I recently acquired an F3261DS, and the current firmware is R4.9, DREV 3.2, but displays "F NARROW ON"...I have a 3161DS that has the same firmware version and DREV but no "F NARROW ON"...would love to be able to program wideband for ham use.

Anyone know the workaround? Is it going to take sending the radio to Kirkland to get some magic wand waived?

I have not tried to read the radio yet, as my OPC-1862 is on the way. Just want to know what kind of battle I am up against. I've read through this thread and there are two conflicting answer.

One poster says Icom "unlocked" his radio, the other poster copied and pasted a response from Icom saying essentially you are SOL.

So which is it?
__________________
NO I will not help program your trunking radio. All opinions are exclusively those of the author and in no way reflect the position of his employer, contractors or other parties.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2015, 6:33 PM
Member
   
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Default

The new 3261 series is not wide band capable. Also, the 3161 and 3261 use totally different firmware/software packages You may brick a radio is you try a firmware mismatch. Here's the emission designators from the specification sheet for the 3162:

Type of emission 11K0F3E / 4K00F1E / F1D

This comes out to 12.5, 6.25, and digital only. No wide band designator indicated.

Yes, the 3161 is wide band capable, but not the 32 series.

Compare the spec sheets and you will see.

Sorry to share bad news.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2015, 6:35 PM
Member
   
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Default

I meant to say "spec sheet from the 3261"
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2015, 6:51 PM
MTS2000des's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cobb County, GA Stadium Crime Zone
Posts: 3,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinsemo View Post
The new 3261 series is not wide band capable. Also, the 3161 and 3261 use totally different firmware/software packages
News to me. The same REV4.9 and DREV 3.2 is what is in my 4161DS, and according to Icom the same cloning software programs the 3261 series (CS-3160/5060) so how can the firmware and software be different if they use the SAME CS and have the same version numbers?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.
__________________
NO I will not help program your trunking radio. All opinions are exclusively those of the author and in no way reflect the position of his employer, contractors or other parties.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2015, 5:06 PM
Member
   
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
News to me. The same REV4.9 and DREV 3.2 is what is in my 4161DS, and according to Icom the same cloning software programs the 3261 series (CS-3160/5060) so how can the firmware and software be different if they use the SAME CS and have the same version numbers?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.
Yes I probably jumped the gun on the firmware/software statement. I was thinking of when the F3061 was upgraded to the F3161 several years ago. The firmware/softare combinations for those models were incompatible. I just ASSumed it was the same for the new F3261. I stand corrected.

As for wide band capability, I "believe" the F3261 is designed for wide band only based on the emission designators in the specification sheet.

F3161 SERIES:

Frequency range
IC-F3161T/S
IC-F4161T/S
136175 MHz
400470 MHz
450512 MHz
Number of channels 512 channels/128 zones
Channel spacing 12.5 kHz/25 kHz, 15 kHz/30 kHz, 6.25 kHz (option)
PLL channel step 2.5 kHz, 3.125 kHz
Antenna impedance 50Ω
Usable temperature range 30C to +60C; 22F to +140F
Power supply requirement 7.2V DC
Current drain (at 7.2V DC)
Transmit
Receive
VHF/UHF 1.5A/1.8A (at 5W/5W)
stand-by 100mA
150mA
rated output 600mA
Dimensions (with BP-232)
(projections are not included) 53 (W) 136 (H) 38.9 (D) mm;
23⁄32 (W) 511⁄32 (H)117⁄32 (D) in
Weight (approx.) 338g; 11.9oz (with BP-232N)
Transmitter
Output power 5W (VHF), 5W (UHF)
Max. frequency deviation 5 kHz (Wide) 2.5 kHz (Narrow)

F3261 SERIES:

Frequency Coverage IC-F3261DT/DS: 136174MHz
IC-F4261DT/DS: 350-400MHz, 400-470MHz, 450-512MHz
Number of channels 512 channels / 128 zones
Type of emission 11K0F3E / 4K00F1E / F1D
Channel spacing 12.5 / 6.25kHz
Power supply requirement 7.5VDC nominal
Current drain (approx.)
Tx High
Rx Max. audio/Standby IC-F3261DT / DS
1.5A (at 5W)
600mA / 150mA IC-F4261DT / DS
1.8A (at 5W)
600mA / 140mA
Antenna impedance 50Ω
Operating temperature range 30C to +60C
22F to +140F
Dimensions (with BP-232N)
(projections are not included) 54 (W) 142.7 (H) 39.5 (D) mm; 2.13x5.62x1.56in.
(With BP-232WP)
Weight (approx.) 370g; 13.1oz (with BP-232WP)
Transmitter
Output power 5W, 2W, 1W, (Hi, L2, L1)
Max. frequency deviation 2.5 kHz

As you can see, there's no wide band specifications indicated for the F3261.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2015, 6:29 PM
Member
   
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 21
Default

I'm making mistakes left and right............

As for wide band capability, I "believe" the F3261 is designed for wide band only based on the emission designators in the specification sheet.

The above should read:

As for wide band capability, I "believe" the F3261 is designed for NARROW BAND only based on the emission designators in the specification sheet.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2015, 6:48 PM
rapidcharger's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The land of broken calculators.
Posts: 2,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinsemo View Post
As for wide band capability, I "believe" the F3261 is designed for NARROW BAND only based on the emission designators in the specification sheet.
This is also incorrect.
It'll do wideband just fine provided the firmware is 4.9 or older.
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2015, 3:29 PM
hotwatt's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3
Default

I have no problem making wide band on my f4001 but i use narrow since thats the norm i donno what the diff is though
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2015, 6:58 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 6
Default

I realise this is an old thread but I was wondering if any info regarding an IC-F6021 being able to be changed to wide band.

I recently purchased one from the US for Australia (we still use wide for some service's) the wide setting is available in the CS-5021 software but always defaults to narrow after programming, any information regarding a possible solution greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2015, 9:02 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westfield, Ma
Posts: 263
Default

The word I got right from ICOM is that the newer radios have firmware in them that only allows NFM.

I am not sure how to tell an old firmware version from a new firmware version without trying to program it.

The wholesaler that I buy from told me that he was not aware of anyway to do it on the newer ones. In fact, he asked me to let him know if I found a way.

The last few radios that I bought I bought used on ebay specifically because I did not want to buy a new one and be stuck with NFM only. I have both a commercial license for my farm and also a ham license, so I wanted to be able to do both.

If you find a solution that actually works, please do pass it around.

Rick
__________________
Rick

WA1NIC, WQAV-895, WPIH-815, PG0111912
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2016, 9:11 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinsemo View Post
As for wide band capability, I "believe" the F3261 is designed for NARROW BAND only based on the emission designators in the specification sheet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidcharger View Post
This is also incorrect.
It'll do wideband just fine provided the firmware is 4.9 or older.
Rapidcharger, I have an F3261DT with REV 4.6.2 RR / DREV 3.2 firmware and from what I've read and no matter what I've tried, I'm stuck with narrowband only. If you know of a way to make my radio TX/RX wideband, I'd sure like to know what that is. I'd love to be able to use this radio for 2m communications also.
__________________
BCD536HP, BCD436HP, BCD996P2, BCD996XT, BCD396XT, BC780XLT, HomePatrol HP-2, HomePatrol HP-1 & HP-1 Extreme, Motorola XTL5000, XTS5000, XTS3000, Kenwood NX-800, NX-700H, TK-8180, TK-7180, Icom R7000
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2017, 9:26 PM
Member
   
Join Date: May 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 18
Default

IC-F4261DT converted for WFM for use in the amateur band:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...0dhMFFGSUgyc3c
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2017, 2:04 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontanei View Post
IC-F4261DT converted for WFM for use in the amateur band:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...0dhMFFGSUgyc3c
That's interesting. Is that a function of the newer firmware? I'm running the RR firmware (REV 4.6.2 RR) on my F3261DT and holding the PTT and F1 does nothing when powering the radio up.

As far as I've seen, these radios only transmit with either a 12.5 kHz or 6.25 kHz channel spacing. When you set the radio to wide, does it allow transmitting on a 25 kHz channel spacing or does it just force the radio to 12.5 kHz only?
__________________
BCD536HP, BCD436HP, BCD996P2, BCD996XT, BCD396XT, BC780XLT, HomePatrol HP-2, HomePatrol HP-1 & HP-1 Extreme, Motorola XTL5000, XTS5000, XTS3000, Kenwood NX-800, NX-700H, TK-8180, TK-7180, Icom R7000
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2017, 11:12 PM
Member
   
Join Date: May 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepomanGP View Post
That's interesting. Is that a function of the newer firmware? I'm running the RR firmware (REV 4.6.2 RR) on my F3261DT and holding the PTT and F1 does nothing when powering the radio up.

As far as I've seen, these radios only transmit with either a 12.5 kHz or 6.25 kHz channel spacing. When you set the radio to wide, does it allow transmitting on a 25 kHz channel spacing or does it just force the radio to 12.5 kHz only?

I use the radio for ham radio and being forced to narrow FM was not an option for me. The radio was locked in narrow FM (as known to many people here) and there was no way to make it WFM. You'd program the radio Forced Narrow OFF; however, when reading it back, the .icf file would be in Forced Narrow ON.......sent it to dealer to modify it with "special SW". These radios are sold world wide where there is no 12.5khz requirement. The SM has a procedure to adjust WFM dev... go figure.

I am a happy camper with this radio now!



Yes, it allows the radio to transmit in 25khz.No, its not a function of FW 5.3

Under common>common>others>forced Narrow change = enable in order for you to be able to change the forced enable on and off when pressing p1 and ptt while powering the radio on.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 01-31-2017, 2:22 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 29
Default

Okay, so just to clarify, you had to send the radio to a dealer for modification so it transmits with 25 kHz channel spacing.

Thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fontanei View Post
I use the radio for ham radio and being forced to narrow FM was not an option for me. The radio was locked in narrow FM (as known to many people here) and there was no way to make it WFM. You'd program the radio Forced Narrow OFF; however, when reading it back, the .icf file would be in Forced Narrow ON.......sent it to dealer to modify it with "special SW". These radios are sold world wide where there is no 12.5khz requirement. The SM has a procedure to adjust WFM dev... go figure.

I am a happy camper with this radio now!



Yes, it allows the radio to transmit in 25khz.No, its not a function of FW 5.3

Under common>common>others>forced Narrow change = enable in order for you to be able to change the forced enable on and off when pressing p1 and ptt while powering the radio on.
__________________
BCD536HP, BCD436HP, BCD996P2, BCD996XT, BCD396XT, BC780XLT, HomePatrol HP-2, HomePatrol HP-1 & HP-1 Extreme, Motorola XTL5000, XTS5000, XTS3000, Kenwood NX-800, NX-700H, TK-8180, TK-7180, Icom R7000
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2017, 7:09 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepomanGP View Post
Okay, so just to clarify, you had to send the radio to a dealer for modification so it transmits with 25 kHz channel spacing.

Thanks.
It's special firmware that not all dealers will hand out like candy. The dealers usually have to go thru the act of congress to get it and each model is different. Each model requires approval from ICOM.
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 02-02-2017, 7:20 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Whittier, CA
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dbsinad View Post
It's special firmware that not all dealers will hand out like candy. The dealers usually have to go thru the act of congress to get it and each model is different. Each model requires approval from ICOM.
That's what I was afraid of. Well, if anyone knows of a dealer in Southern California (Los Angeles or Orange County area) that can flash the firmware to allow wide channel spacing for ham use, let me know. If not, I guess it'll eventually end up on eBay.

Thanks everyone!
__________________
BCD536HP, BCD436HP, BCD996P2, BCD996XT, BCD396XT, BC780XLT, HomePatrol HP-2, HomePatrol HP-1 & HP-1 Extreme, Motorola XTL5000, XTS5000, XTS3000, Kenwood NX-800, NX-700H, TK-8180, TK-7180, Icom R7000
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions