• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Which ICOM radio to buy and which has best reverse burst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum for ICOM. I have had quite a few people recommend ICOM. I am looking at ICOMs and I was wanting to get any information and/or recommendations on radios before I buy. I have commercial frequencies that I use in the VHF range. I am also a licensed amateur radio operator. So I like the radio to do both. My biggest concern is getting a radio that has a good reverse burst feature for squelch tail elimination. I want something that is quiet and does not give me squelch crash everytime I listen. I currently have a vertex vx-2200 and the squelch tail elimination is not adjustable so I either get a quiet close on the receiver or a nasty squelch crash. I was told that ICOMs don't seem to have that issue. So is there any recommendations on a radio that will suit my needs? Any and all responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
well you didn't say what band or mode (analog/digital) you needed so I will ASSume you want VHF conventional.

I use an Icom IC-F5061 as a daily driver at home. This radio can be had without the iDAS digital board for around $200 used or less (don't overpay).
It's got an incredible two line dot matrix display which you can setup to display both zone and channel names:
IMG_7276.JPG

50 watts on high power, narrow and wideband including splinters, CTCSS, DCS, 2 tone encode/decode, MDC1200 encode/decode w/ID display. Also does LTR trunking. The radio has excellent squelch tail elimination and has some of the best audio you'll ever hear from a front mounted speaker (4 watts!).

Programs with modern Windows based cloning software available from your local Icom dealer and programming cables are cheap and plentiful all over everyone's favorite auction shill bidding site.

These radios have EXCELLENT front ends with 85db of adjacent channel rejection.

If you want a little less radio, look at the IC-F5021, has all the signaling features of the 5061 but no digital capability or trunking, and has a smaller 1 line "starburst" display. Still has 50 watts of output, and an superb sounding front speaker with a rock solid front end. I have a 6021 I use on UHF (same radio but UHF) and it hears things my Kenwood TM-V71A cannot.

The 5021's can be had for as little as $100-150 if you know where to look.

One word of caution, both of these Icom radios run HOT on transmit, even on low power, for ham "ragchewing" duty cycle it is recommended that you put a fan on them if you want them to last.

12dbsinad

All of the commercial Icom units have the same types of adjustable reverse burst (No Tone and Phase) and also adjustable timing. They all work extremely well, if all the radios and/or repeaters are set up properly then you should rarely if ever get a squelch clash. However, keep in mind you still will hear the squelch crash on other ham rigs that do not have any type of STE (squelch tail elimination), or if they do nobody ever sets them up to do so.

As far as equipment, what are you looking for? Mobile/portable? Just analog only? As far as a good analog mobile, the F5021 is a good rig and will go down into the 2M band no problem, as will any of the others.

Icom Land Mobile builds some very robust equipment. They have come a very long way in the past 20 years.

12dbsinad,

Yes, I am aware that reverse burst wont work correctly on amateur radios repeaters because most repeaters in the 2 meter band do not use reverse burst. However on the commercial frequencies I use, I get alot of squelch crash and the reverse burst timing is definitely off on my vertex. Its not fixable in firmware or software for those radios. Thats why I am looking at ICOM. I want something that will work well. I was looking at the 5021 but my interest is also peaked towards the 5061 digital option as well. Does your ICOM have dual tones? Or do they have to be the same tone match, transmit and receive? I also have a kenwood tm281a amateur radio. When I am running a decode tone, it almost works as a squelch tail eliminator on any and all frequencies but cutting off the squelch crash. I can never figure out if it is working off the carrier squelch or something else. I know vertex doesnt do that. That is one primary reason for me wanting an ICOM. I want great audio, and a reliable radio that is pleasant on the ears.

MTS2000,

I dont talk terribly much on rag-chewing like a lot of ham enthusiasts do. I wouldnt think about needing a fan that I know of. It is definitely nice to know though. This issue would have a big bearing on whether I decide to purchase an ICOM or not.

rapidcharger

12dbsinad,

I dont talk terribly much on rag-chewing like a lot of ham enthusiasts do. I wouldnt think about needing a fan that I know of. It is definitely nice to know though. This issue would have a big bearing on whether I decide to purchase an ICOM or not.

I have two x061 mobiles and I use them in long QSOs with another member in this thread in the various power levels. If you're running in high or medium power you will run into problems on a long QSO, probably never happen for most hams though. You're average net check-in or "Hi & bye, name, location, rig and weather conditions" qso, the radio will never notice. We run fans on ours but then again, we transmit on them for HOURS a day. HOURS, yes HOURS a day. :D

The receive is unbelievably good. The audio is loud enough to blow your eardrums out. The displays are the best I've ever had in a mobile radio. They come with the freakishly large work-glove-friendly heavy duty mic. The real reason to get one of these is for the NXDN option. You can use it in digital or analog which is why I have them as there are NXDN repeaters here to use. If it weren't for that, I'd probably use something cheaper.

I don't have an answer for you on the reverse burst. But yes, you can TX with one coded squelch tone and RX with another. Unlike your vertex which was made in china, these icoms are made in japan.

Rapidcharger,

Thanks for the reply. This is definitely persuading me to get an ICOM. I don't talk much as I said in a previous post. I do more listening than anything. My radios are for emergencies and an occasional talk with my friends that might be up in the woods camping or hiking. Nothing big. As for programming, do I have to buy ICOM programming software? I am asking because with my vertex, I have an online account and all of that is free. Does ICOM charge for that or do they have online accounts on where to get it? I was just curious so I could calculate the price in with my radio. I believe that the same programming cable I have for my vertex is an 8 pin and I believe that ICOM runs 8 pins with theirs also. That should be compatible I would think.

Again, thanks for the replies, it is much appreciated.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Icom does not give away software like Vertex, you have to order it through a dealer or from Icom themselves. Software isn't expensive, around $40-50. The software for the 5061 programs the portable companions (4161, etc) as well.

You Vertex cable will not work, you will need to purchase an Icom specific cable, they aren't that expensive on Ebay. I paid $16 shipped from a US seller for mine.

rapidcharger

With Icom, the programming package is a kit. It's $40 which has the software and a cable. That's a new Icom product from an Icom dealer. Why would you even mess with anything from ebay?

they aren't that expensive on Ebay. I paid $16 shipped from a US seller for mine.

It's important to also point out that Ebay is not the only place to buy programming cables and even cheap ones. Also, do you really want to cheap out on a programming cable from a questionable seller with a new $450+ radio?

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I've had no problem with low priced cables for Icom and Kenwood radios from US ebay sellers. After all, these are not the high priced, high tier radios like Motorola's APX and XTS series which can actually be bricked with non-OEM cables.

In my experience, the Japanese radios are harder to brick with programming hickups. Now to update firmware, I would concur that an OEM cable is the way to go, as if the bootloader is damaged, you have a paperweight.

Routine codeplug writing with Icom/Kenwood radios the aftermarket cables are fine. No need to spend $50-75 or more on a cable when a $15 will work just fine, and the schematics for homebrewing are all over the web. With the recent shutdown of Radio Shack stores, many people are sitting on tons of parts needed to do so like D-sub connectors, RJ-45, crimping tools and CAT5 cable.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
With Icom, the programming package is a kit. It's $40 which has the software and a cable. That's a new Icom product from an Icom dealer. Why would you even mess with anything from ebay?

Where are the OEM cables and software for the 61 series $40? Let us know so we can order them.

Your favorite dealer has the software for $72 and that is for just the software alone:

ICOM Programming Software

The OEM OPC-1122 cable is $122.

ICOM OPC-1122 PC Programming Cable (Serial)

I know your calculator may be broken, but mine is working and $122 plus $72 is not equal to $40 but more like $194

So I'd love to know where you can buy this real deal combo value meal package for $40. Please share a link with us.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/cs-f5061-6061-555.html

They say its "manufactured by icom".
If they're misrepresenting the item then they'll fry in hades.

Sorry, but they are lying. The OPC-1122U is 69.99 alone, which they sell:

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/icom-opc1122u-4163.html

They sell the OEM software CD for $59.99:

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/icom-csf3161-f5061-4318.html

So you do the math and tell me which is a knock off and which is legit.

hitechRadio

Thanks MTS2000. That answers my questions.

The OP obviously got his answer from MTS2000des.

RapidChrager if you would stop quoting people, and bashing them for there suggestions/opinions. Forums your in may go much more smoothly.

Not to say you never have helpful comments, you did help the op out in the beginning.

Just my opinion of course.

Good luck to the OP on his radio purchase, it is a nice radio.

rapidcharger

Sorry, but they are lying. The OPC-1122U is 69.99 alone, which they sell:

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/icom-opc1122u-4163.html

They sell the OEM software CD for $59.99:

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/icom-csf3161-f5061-4318.html

So you do the math and tell me which is a knock off and which is legit.
If they are lying, it would be great to know that. I hate liars.
But I'm just going on the information I have from their site.

You posted a link to Vincentcom. I have done business with them. They don't lie but they might charge a little more than liars do. I always call up and ask for the price. Its always lower than what is shown on their site (if a price is even shown). I would recommend doing that as they are primarily a b2b dealer not a consumer electronics retailer.

Sent using my beta tester iPhone 7 using Tapatalk.
Ssh though. just dont tell anyone.

RADIOGUY2002

I also recommend the IC-F5061 as well. Lots of features for what you pay for. Going on seven plus years and still going strong.

Stealthguy05

If you are going to be talking on non Motorola repeaters, set the reverse burst to "Phase" and around 200ms of time. If you are using a Motorola repeater, use "No Tone" and set the time to 300ms or just a bit more if needed. The reciever should "click" closed within that time before you get the horrid "kerchunk skid stop" I found this out after some head scratching with my work repeater.

Status
Not open for further replies.