• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Convert Analog to digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

stsm227

I am a volunteer firefighter and have a fairly new icom radio that isn't digital. We have switched all of the fire dept radios to digital leaving me with a useless hunk of metal. Is there something I can do or buy to make my analog receive digital?

rapidcharger

I am a volunteer firefighter and have a fairly new icom radio that isn't digital. We have switched all of the fire dept radios to digital leaving me with a useless hunk of metal. Is there something I can do or buy to make my analog receive digital?

Some of the Icom models can be upgraded to digital by simply inserting the digital board. Others can be upgraded by inserting a board and a software update. (not something you can do yourself). Not all can though.

It depends on which model radio you have and whether it is NXDN or P25 that we're talking about.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Very few fire departments use digital that is anything OTHER than Project 25 and the only P25 capable Icom portable radios are the F70/F80 and the F9011/F9021 radios.

If you have any other sort of Icom portable radios, they won't do P25 no matter what.

You should start by identifying what fire department and system you work for, and then check the RR database and see what format they currently use.

Or maybe the simplest way is to see what kind of radios your FD is actually using.

12dbsinad

I'm sorry your fire dept went digital. Hopefully they are smart enough to keep fireground ops on simplex analog. What about the paging channel, is that still analog? Like others said it depends on what type of system they went to and is it even on the same band...

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
Look your model up on the ICOMUSA web site and see if there is a P25 module available for it. Assuming there is, you should be able to find a service manual online that will explain how to install it. It usually involves sliding it into a socket and cutting some jumper raceways on the PC Board.

If nothing available, best suggestion is to make sure that the programming security password is not set (so it can be re-programmed) and sell it on ebay. Put the money toward a very much more expensive P25 capable radio. Said P25 radios do show up on ebay as well.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully they are smart enough to keep fireground ops on simplex analog.

Amen. I would hate to see a serious injury or LODD due to a salesman's commission selling unnecessarily complex product.

What Icom model do you have?

The F3x61/F5061 can have IDAS added easily, but won't ever do P25. F70/F1721's can be upgraded to P25 if they're not already, but due to codec licensing that is a factory upgrade. Read the radio and see what firmware options are present.

ecps92

Did they go digital (Voice) P25/DMR or did they go to DPL ??

Can't tell you how many Scannists went crazy when Boston PD and Fire went Digitial

Yea, DPL not digital mode :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.