• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ICOM F80S questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WLBob007

Hi everyone, I have an Icom F80S portable. I am having a problem getting certain channels to take the programmed frequencies, and I am unsure if it is due to being out of frequency range, being a narrowband split, or if i have selected the incorrect polarity for DCS. Channel information will flash on and off on the display, and I a do not recieve anything on those channels. Is this simply a matter of a firmware upgrade? I can read the radio with the software if you need more info to provide an answer / educated guess. Much appreciated, thanks!

12dbsinad

If the channel flashes on the screen, that means the VCO is "unlocked". A few things can cause this... incorrect frequency being entered, frequency is out of band for the radio bandsplit or the radio has a issue.

The F80 came in 2 bandsplits. 400-470 Mhz and 450-512 Mhz. If you are trying to enter a UHF T band Frequency for example into a lower bandsplit radio, the display will flash and unlock the VCO.

EDIT: There is a P25 version with FIPS enabled that is 380-450 Mhz also.

WLBob007

Cool...so it is definately NOT a problem with incorrect CTCSS / DCS polarity, that's good to know. How can I determine a band split, the serial number, or reading it with the programming software? Thanks again. I'm also curious if being used for recieve-only, how critical is it that that WFM / NFM and the definef khz spacing is selected correctly?

12dbsinad

F80S 45 = 400-470 Mhz

F80S 06 = 450-512 Mhz

If you have the original box it will give you that above info on the sticker with the serial number. If you just have the radio i believe it just says F80S on the sticker under the battery. I believe the only way to find out is to call icom with the serial number.

Or, do what I do and just plug in 485.000, then 470.000 Mhz. If the screen flashes on 485 and not on 470, you know it's a lower split radio.

It's always a good idea to select either WFM or NFM for whatever channel you are listening to. That however is not related to the screen flashing. If it's a newer F80S, and has firmware 3.1 is will auto force the radio into NFM no matter what you do to meet the narrowbanding requirements.

WLBob007

Bummer, radio is a 400-450, and I assume the VCO is not a swappable component. In the Boston area, this radio is nearly useless to me without T-band capabilities. The guy I bought it from was mistaken in his assessment. Perhaps someone will be interested in a trade. Great radio.

12dbsinad

Yeah, you'd need the 450-512 version in the Boston area for sure. They are excellent radios. One of the best receivers you will find for a UHF portable. I own a few, all lower split however.

Status
Not open for further replies.