• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FR4000 getting stuck on TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeMan2

Thanks to all the great help here I have got past several issues with this FR4000 already. The cloning software finally arrived so I have been playing around with that. Just FYI for anyone else, you can get a single USB programming cable that uses the FTDI chip and it works great with Windows 8.1 at least.

It looks like I have one last issue and I don't know what is causing it. I have been playing around with the software and testing things at home with the repeater hooked up to a dummy load. What I am finding is that when I use a HT to key the repeater, more often than not the repeater gets stuck in TX with both the busy and TX light on even after I release the PTT button on the HT. Obviously it looks like it is stuck in some feedback loop and thinks it is getting a signal. For now, for testing purposes I had to set the RPT TOT down to 30 sec so it would timeout and the TX shut down.

At first I thought it was the internal ICOM mobile duplexer, but I have had it tuned twice by a dealer so I doubt that is it. I don't know if it is the repeater or RX/TX with only the dummy load on it. I can't hook it up to the antenna at the site until Saturday to see if it still does it then or if it does it only when the dummy load is on.

If it is likely the repeater, I would like to deal with it before I go to the site. So I thought I would see if I could get any input if it was likely due to trying to TX/RX with the dummy load on, or likely an issue with the repeater.

Thanks

LakeMan2

Well it seems like the issue was only when using the dummy load on the bench. When I hooked it up the the tower mounted antenna there does not seem to be any issues even at higher power.

What I did to allow me to do bench testing (with the dummy load) of the various programing options is to turn low power down even further, maybe around 6W (I did not actually measure it, I just turned it down). I then did all my program testing using the low power memory channel and when I got what I liked applied it to the high power memory channel. At that low power it did not stick open even with the dummy load.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I've encountered multiple instances of the FR3000/4000 getting stuck in transmit. In every case the problem was associated with the usage of CHEAP duplexers or poorly tuned duplexers.

In fact, for the FR repeaters, I positively do not recommend the usage of ANY compact internal duplexers in those repeaters, at all, ever, period.

I've NEVER had this problem when the repeater was connected to an external non-compact style duplexer.

The FR5000/FR6000s were even worse, in my experience. I've seen an FR6000 that got hung up and it got so hot that it turned the PC board near the output device brown and when I shut down the repeater, after it had been hung for more than 12 hours, if you wet your finger and touched ANY part of the case, it sizzled. The whole thing was hotter than 212 degrees. The LCD display in the rack enclosure, though separated from the FR module itself by a few inches, got overheated to the point that it never worked quite right afterwards.

The more I learn about Icom's commercial products, the less inclined I am to recommend them.

LakeMan2

I am using a small internal duplexer, and yes I am a little concerned with it. It is the ICOM branded one that came with it. I have no idea if it is "cheap" or not. One would hope not. As for tuning, I had a radio shop tune it twice so I suspect it is as good as it will get. I have not had a chance to test range yet so I am concerned with the internal duplexer and desense. I may look for a used external one and see what I can get. Of course I am concerned that if the internal shielding and jumpers are not very good, that could still be a limiting factor even with an external 6 cavity pass-reject duplexer. I have looked in side and the RF leads/jumpers from the RX and TX boards to the duplexer or antenna connectors look pretty week.

Last edited:

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
I've had the same issue too...Cannot say for sure it's always happened while on a duplexor or not

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I had this happen on my VHF FR3000 with the cheap duplexers multiple times. I have not seen the issue on my FR4000 in the GMRS band. I only have one repeater left using the internal duplexer as it is on its own antenna. All others I have run thru combiners and just put cavities on RX. If you have the ICOM duplexor they used to be provided by Sinclair and should be an on unit. With that said depending on frequencies in use you can pick up some pretty good external units reasonable on line for UHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.