• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom IC-F3061T Programming Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6HMS

Hello All,

I have an old Icom IC-F3061T portable radio (non-IDAS) I’m giving to a friend with CalFire. I haven’t used this radio in several years, so I’ve been re-familiarizing myself with the programming software (CS-F3060). I’m trying to create a settings file for the radio that replicates the current load for a Bendix King GPH/DPH Command Series radio, but I’ve run into some problems I’m hoping you might be able to help with:

1) Scanning: For the life of me I can’t remember what the difference is between “Scan A” and “Scan B”. Can someone refresh my memory? I currently have the P0 key set for “SCNB” and the P1 key set for “SCAD”. I understand how to add/delete channels and how to turn on the scan feature. I’ve also verified that channels I add/delete work correctly in the scan sequence. So what would happen if I used the “SCNA” feature instead?

2) Priority Scan: How can I make the radio use the selected channel as the priority channel? In the setting file I can go to the “Atr” for a zone and set a channel as Priority A and or Priority B. But I’d prefer that the selected channel serve as the priority when the radio is scanning, regardless of which channel is set for AB. Any ideas?

3) OST (Operator Select Tone): Okay, I’m having a hard time with this. This is a pretty easy feature to use with the old Bendix Kings, but I don’t know how to make it work with the Icom. I’ve entered 32 tones under the “Continuous Tone” menu. I’ve only entered the tones in the “TX” field and have left the “RX” field blank. Many of the memory channels I have programmed use different RX tones. The problem is I don’t know how to keep the preprogrammed RX tone enabled while I select different TX tones using P2 as the “TSEL” function. When I select a tone using this feature the radio disables the preprogrammed tone squelch. Again, I can’t enter values in the “TX” field of the “Continuous Tone” menu since most of the channels use different RX tones. If I did, I’d hit a given repeater but I wouldn’t hear anything back. What am I doing wrong here?

4) 25 Zones w/ 20 Channels Each: Okay this is difficult to explain. My friend uses a “Command” version of a GPH radio. This gives you 20 channels on the selector (top of the radio), unlike the standard version of the GPH (and most commercial rigs) that only have 16. That said, I figured I’d use “Side 2” set for “CH Up” and “Side 3” set for “CH Down”. This way I could select more than 16 channels. And yes, I know how to increase the allocated size of a zone under the “Zone Operation” menu. So I’ve allocated 25 zones set for 20 channels each. However, I apparently can’t use the two side buttons for channel up/down if the “Rotary Selector” is set for “MR CH”. So I set the “Rotary Selector” for “Zone”. This allowed me to change the channel using the two side keys, but now I can’t select past Zone 16. Oh, the pain! Again, I’d like to be able to select between 25 zones, 20 channels each. Is there a workaround for this?

I’m really sorry for this incredibly long post. Hope this isn’t considered bad form. We’re smack dab in the middle of fire season here in southern California. I’m about 10 miles south of the Bluecut fire, so things are a bit tense. I’d like to get this radio to my friend who’s been working this fire for the last few days, and may get reassigned up north again in the very near future. Any help you all may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated!

Trace, W6HMS

W6HMS

Bump... Anyone? I realize Icom doesn't have much of the market, but I'm hoping someone out there has some familiarity with programming these portables...

Thanks!
Trace, W6HMS

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I have an old Icom IC-F3061T portable radio (non-IDAS) I’m giving to a friend with CalFire. I haven’t used this radio in several years, so I’ve been re-familiarizing myself with the programming software (CS-F3060). I’m trying to create a settings file for the radio that replicates the current load for a Bendix King GPH/DPH Command Series radio, but I’ve run into some problems I’m hoping you might be able to help with:

1) Scanning: For the life of me I can’t remember what the difference is between “Scan A” and “Scan B”. Can someone refresh my memory? I currently have the P0 key set for “SCNB” and the P1 key set for “SCAD”. I understand how to add/delete channels and how to turn on the scan feature. I’ve also verified that channels I add/delete work correctly in the scan sequence. So what would happen if I used the “SCNA” feature instead?

2) Priority Scan: How can I make the radio use the selected channel as the priority channel? In the setting file I can go to the “Atr” for a zone and set a channel as Priority A and or Priority B. But I’d prefer that the selected channel serve as the priority when the radio is scanning, regardless of which channel is set for AB. Any ideas?

3) OST (Operator Select Tone): Okay, I’m having a hard time with this. This is a pretty easy feature to use with the old Bendix Kings, but I don’t know how to make it work with the Icom. I’ve entered 32 tones under the “Continuous Tone” menu. I’ve only entered the tones in the “TX” field and have left the “RX” field blank. Many of the memory channels I have programmed use different RX tones. The problem is I don’t know how to keep the preprogrammed RX tone enabled while I select different TX tones using P2 as the “TSEL” function. When I select a tone using this feature the radio disables the preprogrammed tone squelch. Again, I can’t enter values in the “TX” field of the “Continuous Tone” menu since most of the channels use different RX tones. If I did, I’d hit a given repeater but I wouldn’t hear anything back. What am I doing wrong here?

4) 25 Zones w/ 20 Channels Each: Okay this is difficult to explain. My friend uses a “Command” version of a GPH radio. This gives you 20 channels on the selector (top of the radio), unlike the standard version of the GPH (and most commercial rigs) that only have 16. That said, I figured I’d use “Side 2” set for “CH Up” and “Side 3” set for “CH Down”. This way I could select more than 16 channels. And yes, I know how to increase the allocated size of a zone under the “Zone Operation” menu. So I’ve allocated 25 zones set for 20 channels each. However, I apparently can’t use the two side buttons for channel up/down if the “Rotary Selector” is set for “MR CH”. So I set the “Rotary Selector” for “Zone”. This allowed me to change the channel using the two side keys, but now I can’t select past Zone 16. Oh, the pain! Again, I’d like to be able to select between 25 zones, 20 channels each. Is there a workaround for this?

I’m really sorry for this incredibly long post. Hope this isn’t considered bad form. We’re smack dab in the middle of fire season here in southern California. I’m about 10 miles south of the Bluecut fire, so things are a bit tense. I’d like to get this radio to my friend who’s been working this fire for the last few days, and may get reassigned up north again in the very near future. Any help you all may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated!

Trace, W6HMS

Quick answers:

1) . Scan A operation is dependent on how the Power ON Scan function located in the Scan Setting screen is configured, and can cause undesirable things to happen such as scan cancelling upon channel activity. Scan B is more of a simple "Scan On/Off" button, and what I always used.

2). To get selected channel priority to work, go to the Scan List area, and set your desired list's Scan Type to Priority. Then set Primary CH, TX CH and Cancel CH to "R.Sel" if you are using the selector switch to change channels, or "Start" if using buttons. I always set Talkback to off, TX action to Pause, and Power Save Off.

3). That's how operator selectable tone works on Icoms. Only good option is to leave the RX tone CSQ in your tone lists. I wish more companies would mimic the Bendix King way of only changing the transmit tone, and leaving the RX tone alone. As far as I know, Kenwoods with the Tactical Feature Set, or Cal-Fire firmware are the only other radios to operate like the BKs.

4). If you put zone selection on the rotary selector, you can still assign a button to "Zone". Pressing Zone now advances the selector to the next 16 zones. For example if you are on Zone 1, pressing the Zone button now advances that to Zone 16, and position 16 on the selector is now Zone 32.

Those instructions apply to the F3161. Hopefully the F3061 supports all of the those options as well.

W6HMS

Thanks Avery93!

I figured out Question 4 (channels/zones) a few days ago. It was dumb luck that I got it working, really. It turns out I did exactly what you suggested. Your explanation of "Scan B" makes sense, so I'll just leave the radio set with that as a soft key option. It's too bad there isn't a way to get the OST to work properly. It seems odd that the various radio manufacturers wouldn't update their radios so they could be selected for use with the Forest Service and or CalFire. I recently acquired a Kenwood NX5200 that I use on an amateur 2m repeater in digital mode. It's their latest model, so I'll check out the programming software and see if it can do OST the same way the Bendix King does it.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the menu/options for the 3161 are a bit different than my 3061. I was able to set the scan list for "Priority A" as you suggested. But I couldn't find any of the other settings/options you referenced. "R.Sel" was an option under the same field as "Priority A" on the scan list. Maybe if I use that setting it will work? Like I said, I couldn't find "R.Sel" anywhere else in the settings. The programming software I have is dated 2007, so maybe it's just outdated...

Anyway, thanks again for your help!

Regards,
Trace

Status
Not open for further replies.