RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > ICOM Land Mobile Radio

ICOM Land Mobile Radio - Discussion forum for ICOM land mobile radio equipment such as the IC-F series radios. Please do not post amateur radio topics here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2016, 3:23 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default ICOM F21 programming problem

All,

I was recently given a ICOM F21 from a business that had recently switched to DMR. After charging the battery, I tried programming it with my USB programming cable and Windows 7 programming laptop that i've used to program ICOM and Kenwood radios. The CS-F11 software (version 1.2) isn't able to read or write to the radio. I keep getting a "check cable & comm port) type errors. I've used the same cable and laptop to program other ICOM radios, so I know they both work. In fact, I used the cable to program two other ICOM radios after I first tried to program the F21.

I tried an old Windows XP laptop with the same cable, and I get the same result. I've verified the COMM ports on both laptops match what is selected in the software. I haven't been able to get another USB or serial cable, so I haven't been able to eliminate the cable. Honestly, I would prefer not to spend the money, since my USB cable works for other ICOM radios.

The only thing i've noticed is that when I power on the radio, it emits a long tone. Not a beep, but a long tone that will occur until I power the radio off.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Warren Whitby
CSX Montgomery, Alabama audio feed - http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14418/web
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2016, 4:39 PM

It's been a long time, but when I was programming those, they only had RS-232 cables. Pretty sure the older programming cables/radios are not compatible with the newer stuff, but it's been years since I've done any Icom programming.
Old 04-23-2017, 7:31 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just to close out the loop, and as an FYI for everyone.

The long beep on power up was caused by a bad battery. I replaced the battery, and the long beep went away.

I did have a lot of problems programming the F21. Both early 2000s vintage XP computers with serial ports wouldn't program the radio.

On a whim, I loaded the software on a Windows 8 box and used my USB programming cable. The F21 programmed right up without a hiccup!

Warren Whitby
CSX Montgomery, Alabama audio feed - http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14418/web
Old 05-29-2017, 4:56 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have also fixed programming cable/computer/software compatibility issues by
1- scrubbing the battery terminals with a pencil eraser so the radio stays powered on, and
2- flexing the 3.5mm -gently- towards the back while reading/writing ... and holding my breath.

Edit: Out of habit I always twirl the 3.5mm as I plug it in to make sure it makes good contact. That's so automatic I didn't think about it at first.