• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VHF static

Status
Not open for further replies.

zrock

Not sure where to put this so here it goes. I had to replace my flip out touch screen stereo the other day for a double din pioneer touch screen. Old stereo finally packed it in. Now on certain channels on my icom 5023 im getting static and its stopping the scan mode and resting on those channels. With no power to the stereo it does not do this and if i touch the screen it will briefly stop and alow the icom to resume scan. Its not on any specific freq range some channels are in the 154 range and some in the 160 range..

Any suggestions? Never had the issue with the old cheap touch screen.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Where is your radio powered from?

If you are pulling any power from under the dash, this can be the cause. Power fed directly from the battery usually prevents this.

Where is your antenna and how is it mounted?

Make sure your radio (both of them) are properly grounded. Do not rely on just the negative power lead as the ground, or the coax shield. I've solved weird issue by running a short ground strap from the radio chassis to the vehicle chassis. Long wires can act like antennas and pick up noise.

Other option is to physically separate them.

12dbsinad

It is quite possible that new unit is generating RFI. A lot of things these days generate wideband garbage. Fixes for such issues may not be easy, depending on how much RFI is being produced. Are you running RX pl or dpl on these channels?

zrock

Icom is getting power/ground direct from battery. Stereo is direct into factory harness. Antenna is on a fender mount and bolted direct to the fender on the front right.
I have to pull the stereo out again to install a upgrade im waiting for.. I will install a short ground from stereo chassis to vehicle and see if that helps. For now i have just removed the trouble channels from the scan list.

If i understand correctly im not running any RX pl or dpl on the channels they are programmed the same as the rest of my 128 channels its just 3 or 4 chan that are a issue. I just find it strange that its only affecting a few when i have lots of other freq close to the trouble chans..

Sometimes it may pay to go cheap..lol.. i had a temp flip up screen stereo for a few days until i installed the pioneer and it did not interfere with the icom..

12dbsinad

Do you have access to the programming software? If so, utilize the "SQL TIGHT" on those troublesome channels. Use the SQL TIGHT offset in the common screen and bring the levels up higher than your normal SQL level.

It will help when interference is right on the edge of opening the squelsh.

Again, it will depend on the level of interference however.

zrock

OK thanks.. I'll give it a shot tomorow and see what happens.. thanks

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
I have a Kenwood touchscreen radio with navi in my truck and it causes a lot of interference with both my portable and my pager.

Motorola HT1550XLS Motorola HT1250 Kenwood TK2170 Motorola Minitor VI

zrock

Didn't do much trouble shooting over the winter. But 2 things I'm wondering about is my antenna location. I have it fender mounted about 4 inches in front of my factory radio antenna. This also means the antenna wire is running right through/under the computer, sterio, and factory wiring. I was thinking of moving it to the opposite side of truck on the fender or moving it to my alum headache rack.

zrock

I have a Kenwood touchscreen radio with navi in my truck and it causes a lot of interference with both my portable and my pager.

Motorola HT1550XLS Motorola HT1250 Kenwood TK2170 Motorola Minitor VI
I've been carrying around my portable leaving it on scan along either my truck radio and have no interference on portable

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, couple of things:

Make sure the radio is grounded well, don't rely on just the negative power lead for the radio grounding. Install a short ground wire from the radio body to the vehicle chassis. This can sometimes fix funny issues like this. Either way, it won't hurt.

As for the antenna,
It could be picking up noise from the computer or other components under the hood. You could try moving it to the opposite side of the hood and see if that helps.
The headache rack can work well. It gets the antenna away from a lot of the noise sources. The ground plane isn't ideal, if you are using an antenna that needs a ground plane, but it'll usually work. For what it's worth, mounting on the fender doesn't provide an ideal ground plane, either.

12dbsinad

On your first post back in January you mention that once you swapped the stereo the interference started. Have you tried pulling the fuse for the radio to see if the problem goes away?

If you can verify that it is that, than at least you have a starting point as to what is causing it. It is possible it is something else, for example, did you change out any lighting (fog lights, aux lighting, etc) to LED? I have had issues with them generating RFI and causing problems.

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
On your first post back in January you mention that once you swapped the stereo the interference started. Have you tried pulling the fuse for the radio to see if the problem goes away?

If you can verify that it is that, than at least you have a starting point as to what is causing it. It is possible it is something else, for example, did you change out any lighting (fog lights, aux lighting, etc) to LED? I have had issues with them generating RFI and causing problems.

Yep. I added an led light bar and pods. The light bar doesn't cause interference but the pods cause poor stereo reception and it's nothing but static

Kenwood TK-2180 | Motorola HT1550•XLS | Motorola HT1250 | Motorola CP200XLS | Kenwood TK-790 | Motorola Minitor VI

zrock

Looks like it was 2 issues. The antenna cable had rubbed through to ground and antenna was to close to radio antenna.. moved antenna and fixed cable and all good now

Status
Not open for further replies.