RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > ICOM Land Mobile Radio

ICOM Land Mobile Radio - Discussion forum for ICOM land mobile radio equipment such as the IC-F series radios. Please do not post amateur radio topics here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 10:14 AM

Default H16 problem

I found a pair of H16 portables. One operates fine, no issues other than being old as dirt. The other has issues.

when it powers up the display flashes. I know this indicates that the VCO is out of lock. No big deal, there is a service manual and I can muddle through retuning the VCO.

The issue is that when I try and program it and i go into function 5(Receive frequency) it shows 508.73. This is a VHF hand held. When I enter a VHF frequency and store it, and look at it after, it still shows 508.73

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:40 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sounds like someone cloned from a U-16

Find the Clone Cable and Clone from the H-16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayn1n32008 View Post
I found a pair of H16 portables. One operates fine, no issues other than being old as dirt. The other has issues.

when it powers up the display flashes. I know this indicates that the VCO is out of lock. No big deal, there is a service manual and I can muddle through retuning the VCO.

The issue is that when I try and program it and i go into function 5(Receive frequency) it shows 508.73. This is a VHF hand held. When I enter a VHF frequency and store it, and look at it after, it still shows 508.73

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-11-2017, 4:20 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I once received a U16 doing the same thing- except vhf frequency. Cloning from a good U16 fixed it. I used an audio patch cord with adaptors I don't recall the exact set up I believe it is speaker jack of sending radio to mic jack of receiving radio.
Old 09-11-2017, 4:23 PM

Thanks guys. I will try cloning the good one into the bad one.

Not sure where 508.73 came from, nowhere in Canada uses T-Band for day to day comms, only temporary special events where there are not enough UHF channels avilable. i can only think of a handful of times where T-Band has been used for LMR comms in Alberta
Old 09-11-2017, 5:05 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Likely NY/NJ or CA [no, not CN] or it was used by someone [media] with an STA for an IFB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayn1n32008 View Post
Thanks guys. I will try cloning the good one into the bad one.

Not sure where 508.73 came from, nowhere in Canada uses T-Band for day to day comms, only temporary special events where there are not enough UHF channels avilable. i can only think of a handful of times where T-Band has been used for LMR comms in Alberta
Sponsored links