• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

More Trouble with IC 4161 DT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo695

Hello again, folks. Now that I've upgraded the antenna I find that I still have issues hitting even the local repeaters that my CCR has no problem reaching. I double checked my settings to make sure I'm running high power (5W) and double checked the CTCSS on each machine (Interesting how different repeater directories often have different tones listed!!). The one exception where I can open a machine I get a receive signal that's really low and scratchy, even though its practically next door and should be hitting me hard and full quieting. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

FKimble

Two things come to mind. Make sure it's not set for narrow band and check the tone's. If their off enough, it will not open a repeater. May need to bench test it. Also you used the term CTCSS, that imply's sending a tone to open the repeater and requiring a tone from the repeater to open your radio's sq. Not all repeaters pass the tone or send out one.

Frank KK4YTM

12dbsinad

A couple questions.

You can't get into any machines besides one that is right next door, correct?

Can you hear (RX) any of the machines that you cannot get into?

This sounds pretty drastic by the way you describe it, which can make troubleshooting a heck of a lot easier.

Jimbo695

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Set for wide band and the tones check out as per the repeater directories - and the separate programming that is in the CCRs and that works.

Yes; only the machine next door (with really low and scratchy audio and signal strength) and no, I hear no other machines.

Looks like I need to have it bench tested. Anyone have a suggestion where? ICOM no longer supports this model and I bought it "new" but from a reseller.

FKimble

tones check out as per the repeater directories
Not what I meant. I mean the frequency/deviation of the tones may be off and hence not triggering the repeaters.
I would think any Icom radio shop or decent shop would be able to bench test the radio.
Good luck and please report back any findings.

Frank

12dbsinad

Almost sounds like a busted antenna connector or something along those lines with no TX or RX. You've tried different antennas so that would rule out a bad antenna or issue. Does the antenna connector feel loose? Those can be prone to the spanner nut loosening and breaking the solder joint in the radio.

As far as service, Icom should still support it. They just recently discontinued the 4161 (but not the 3161 VHF version) at the beginning of November. Do a search on Icom website to find your closest service center, call and ask. How old is it anyway?

Jimbo695

Good idea about the possible antenna connector. I found a tech shop out of the area with a pretty reasonable fee scale so off it will go.

Thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.