• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom IC-F50V Programming single tone decode

Status
Not open for further replies.

hinkel440

Does anyone have any experience (or is it even possible with this radio), to program it to receive and alert on a single tone decode? If so could you tell me what my settings need to be in cloning software for a single tone? I have the radio programmed and it alerts and stores voice fine when it is a 2 - tone decode. But I am not sure what to do with a single. I have tried multiple ways to enter it in but I must be missing something or the radio can't decode a single tone. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

12dbsinad

You'll need to set your tone period (under 2 tone, Code CH) to accommodate a single tone. Set your first tone to whatever length the single tone is, then set the second tone at 0.0.

Enter your single tone freq under both the first and second tone freq boxes.

hinkel440

Thank you!!! Probably where I went wrong is not setting the tone period to zero on the second tone. I set both to the same tone and the same tone period thinking that might get it. I’ll give it a shot and post back.

hinkel440

You'll need to set your tone period (under 2 tone, Code CH) to accommodate a single tone. Set your first tone to whatever length the single tone is, then set the second tone at 0.0.

Enter your single tone freq under both the first and second tone freq boxes.

12dbsinad,

That worked perfectly!!! Thanks for the information. I noticed when programming that tone decode that it actually alerts under the group call in 2Tone - Code CH. Is that how it should alert under the group call? I assume so since it's set as a single tone decode but thought I would ask. Thanks again for the help!

12dbsinad

12dbsinad,

That worked perfectly!!! Thanks for the information. I noticed when programming that tone decode that it actually alerts under the group call in 2Tone - Code CH. Is that how it should alert under the group call? I assume so since it's set as a single tone decode but thought I would ask. Thanks again for the help!

That's correct. Basically, by setting both first and second tones to the same tone frequency is doesn't really matter if you have the RX group tone set to 1st or 2nd. Hopefully that makes sense.

Glad it's working. BTW, are you using the F50V MM firmware/software?

hinkel440

That's correct. Basically, by setting both first and second tones to the same tone frequency is doesn't really matter if you have the RX group tone set to 1st or 2nd. Hopefully that makes sense.

Glad it's working. BTW, are you using the F50V MM firmware/software?

Yes, that makes since. Bottom line is changing that second tone period to 0.0 is what allowed it to alert on the single tone.

Unfortunately I am not using the MM firmware/software. There is no icom dealer close to me that can flash the new firmware. I have the MM software just can't use it yet, lol. I would really like to get the MM firmware but right now I don't want to part with the radio for two weeks to send it to an icom service center. Closest one for me is about 4 1/2 hours away so I would have to mail it to them. So far it appears the MM firmware is dealer only because I have not been able to find it for sale anywhere......

12dbsinad

Yes, that makes since. Bottom line is changing that second tone period to 0.0 is what allowed it to alert on the single tone.

Yep, you got it!

Unfortunately I am not using the MM firmware/software. There is no icom dealer close to me that can flash the new firmware. I have the MM software just can't use it yet, lol. I would really like to get the MM firmware but right now I don't want to part with the radio for two weeks to send it to an icom service center. Closest one for me is about 4 1/2 hours away so I would have to mail it to them. So far it appears the MM firmware is dealer only because I have not been able to find it for sale anywhere......

Yeah, the firmware is pretty much dealer only.

Let me tell you, you WON'T be disappointed! You'd think you had a Minitor in your hand when the tone(s) drop. Icom did a great job at this copying exactly the 10 standard Minitor alert tones and also vibration patterns..

Just keep in mind that if you send it in, you'll get the latest forced narrow MM firmware. If you don't do any wideband stuff, it's not a issue. There is a a version or 2 without forced narrow however. Just FYI..

hinkel440

Yep, you got it!

Yeah, the firmware is pretty much dealer only.

Let me tell you, you WON'T be disappointed! You'd think you had a Minitor in your hand when the tone(s) drop. Icom did a great job at this copying exactly the 10 standard Minitor alert tones and also vibration patterns..

Just keep in mind that if you send it in, you'll get the latest forced narrow MM firmware. If you don't do any wideband stuff, it's not a issue. There is a a version or 2 without forced narrow however. Just FYI..

Great information, so you are saying there is not option for wide band on the newest MM firmware? I mean I understand why however it's nice to be able to set up a paging only channel to monitor wide for that extra bit of spectrum. Lol.

12dbsinad

Great information, so you are saying there is not option for wide band on the newest MM firmware? I mean I understand why however it's nice to be able to set up a paging only channel to monitor wide for that extra bit of spectrum. Lol.

All Land mobile part 90 equipment were required to inhibit wideband operation of existing radios that did both W/N due to the narrowbanding mandate. This was done thru firmware.

Also, by wide/narrow I mean the reduced deviation, not the radio bandwidth. That is not affected.

hinkel440

12dbsinad,

Thanks for the great information. So I got the MM firmware today. It's installed and I set my alert tones to "standard", which I assume is the standard Minitor alert?? I do not have a test environment to trip this radio anytime I want and our county test paged tonight. I am not sure if I haven't done this before which is why I never noticed it but here is what happened.

My radio was in scan with priority going to my county paging frequency. Which is also set to decode the 2tone. When my departments tones were sent my radio was receiving but never alerted and was locked on my priority channel. Did this happen because it was in scan? I am thinking probably so, I actually forgot tonight was a test night and had it in scan. I figured since the priority A channel is the channel that was set in the scanning that it would be ok and actually alert. Am I wrong and because it was in scan it won't alert?

I have another channel set to decode tones which is set to be inaudible until receiving the tones and I am assuming that all is well it was just because I had it in scan and it simply won't alert any channel when in scan even if scanning priority and that channel is the priority channel.

If you could please let me know your thoughts on why that didn't work. I can't remember if I have ever tried scanning priorty A and seen it work or not.

Also, all the new alert tones I have in 2tone section Standard, Continuous, Tone 1, Tone 2, etc... Those are all the same Minitor tones as seen in the Minitor programming correct? (So I don't have to guess which is which)

12dbsinad

It should decode if set to priority. A couple things, first, is it possible you were RX'ing another channel when the tones sent? If your priority sample rate is set slow, it could have missed for sure.

Is this a standard 2 tone sequence or a single group tone?

You are correct, standard is the same standard Minitor "beep,beep,beep,beep". The rest of the tones should match Motorola.

hinkel440

It should decode if set to priority. A couple things, first, is it possible you were RX'ing another channel when the tones sent? If your priority sample rate is set slow, it could have missed for sure.

Is this a standard 2 tone sequence or a single group tone?

You are correct, standard is the same standard Minitor "beep,beep,beep,beep". The rest of the tones should match Motorola.

No sir, it was actually locked on the priory channel when our tones were sent out. It is a standard two tone sequence. It has alerted fine since I set it up, the only ting that changed was the firmware. I read the radio after the firmware update and all the settings appeared to be the same and I went in and changed the ringer to "standard" from PiRo for that tone . Then wrote it to the radio.

I can't remember though if it has ever alerted when priority scan is selected and my Priorty is the channel it should alert on.

Status
Not open for further replies.