• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

F1000S Locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tvelt

Hey all,

A customer brought in a F1000s saying that very often the radio will lockup/freeze on them completely rendering it entirely useless until they power cycle. I asked if possible that the lock button was being accidentally hit and they assured me no. I've had it with me all day without turning it off and I'm not getting any issues however when I called him earlier he said another one of the radios (same model) is starting to do the same thing once they gave it to the guy who was using this one.

Curious if anyone has heard of this before? I'm suspecting there is probably some user error of some type since I can't seem to replicate the issue and its just the one guy having the problem. But hey I could be wrong.

Thanks.

12dbsinad

Have never heard of this issue. As you said, I find it kind of strange it's only one person having issues. I'd try to find out more info on what exactly is going on, like does the radio still TX/RX? what is he doing when this happens? Is it sitting in the charger on? etc.

Have them issue the problem radio to another person and see if the problem follows.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I had a radio that did odd things once. Would turn on and off by itself, lock up, etc.

Turned out it didn't like the way it was grounded. It was mounted on the front of a pickup bench seat. Seemed to be related to static buildup.

A short jumper from the radio chassis to the body ground solved the issue. Now I do this on all radio installs, since it sometimes solves these unexplained type of faults.

I'd probably want to look at the install, especially if it was "self installed".

12dbsinad

I had a radio that did odd things once. Would turn on and off by itself, lock up, etc.

Turned out it didn't like the way it was grounded. It was mounted on the front of a pickup bench seat. Seemed to be related to static buildup.

A short jumper from the radio chassis to the body ground solved the issue. Now I do this on all radio installs, since it sometimes solves these unexplained type of faults.

I'd probably want to look at the install, especially if it was "self installed".

I always say this, if the radio's DC ground was isolated, you'd eliminate all sorts of noise issues, ground loops, ground difference potential from the antenna, radio chassis, and DC power, etc. Life would be much better. I believe the old GE mastr II mobile's were like this.

Anyway, This radio the OP is talking about is a handheld.

radio259

My shop F2000S would freeze up now and then. No tx no rx noting. Recycle power and OK. Not sure what solution was. Firmware??

Status
Not open for further replies.