• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom F50V Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Hi folks,

I just picked up an F50V from the big auction site to use with my local FD. I'm waiting to hear from the seller what FW is in the radio. From what I understand 3.6.2 and the MM 3.1.1 software are most desired? My department has 3 stations, 2 use A-B and one uses single long tone which I'm wanting to program into the radio. Is it possible to upgrade the FW myself or must it be sent out if needed?

Thanks!

12dbsinad

Yes, the "MM" version is the most desired. They "copied" the Minitor alert tones and vibration settings pretty much exactly. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Firmware can be upgraded with just a cloning cable if you can get a copy of the flash loader software. It's a dealer only item but since the radio is discontinued it's possible a dealer or even ICOM could provide a copy. Wouldn't hurt to ask!

Otherwise, sending it to ICOM directly or a dealer is a option.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
So from further reading it appears 3.6.2 forces narrowband on all channels, which is ridiculous. I'm thinking I may need to use 3.6 then as I believe it was the last version to support WB, unless Icom has a workaround for us Canadians. I'd really like to use the Minitor like features of 3.6.2 but all our fire channels are still WB with the exception of one.

12dbsinad

Correct, you'll want version 3.6.1 MM firmware. 3.6.2 locked down the radio to narrowband to conform with FCC regs here in the states.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Great, thanks for the info. I've got FW 3.6 and 3.6.2... I'll go on the hunt for 3.6.1.

Appreciate the info!

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Can anyone confirm that there is a 3.6.1 MM firmware version? The Icom dealer portal only shows 3.6 and 3.6.2. (Perhaps you meant 3.6 when you mentioned 3.6.1?)

Thanks! (And apologies for all the questions.. this is my 1st go-round with an Icom radio).

12dbsinad

You're right. The only firmware showing is 3.6 (for non MM versions) and 3.6.2 for MM firmware which is locked to narrow. It seems Icom has recently updated this and got rid of all the firmware except the current version and current software version. They used to have all versions of firmware available.

I can however confirm for you, there is (or was) a version 3.6.1 MM wideband/narrowband that you need. I have this exact firmware version in my units and somewhere I may have the flash loader software. I'll see if I can find out more info on Monday as the purging of firmware in the portal affects all models.

In the mean time I'll dig to see if I can find it... it's on a thumb drive somewhere in my mess..

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
You're right. The only firmware showing is 3.6 (for non MM versions) and 3.6.2 for MM firmware which is locked to narrow. It seems Icom has recently updated this and got rid of all the firmware except the current version and current software version. They used to have all versions of firmware available.

I can however confirm for you, there is (or was) a version 3.6.1 MM wideband/narrowband that you need. I have this exact firmware version in my units and somewhere I may have the flash loader software. I'll see if I can find out more info on Monday as the purging of firmware in the portal affects all models.

In the mean time I'll dig to see if I can find it... it's on a thumb drive somewhere in my mess..
Thank you sir! Much appreciated...

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
So I finally got my radio and programming cable and some free time to tinker. Nice little radios! Got the 2Tone working for our 3 stations fairly easily... just such a shame there isn't a wideband version of the MM firmware. Does anyone know if you can downgrade the firmware in these things? I'd love to play the with 3.6.2 firmware just to check it out, but then be able to revert back to 3.6 when I'm done.

12dbsinad

So I finally got my radio and programming cable and some free time to tinker. Nice little radios! Got the 2Tone working for our 3 stations fairly easily... just such a shame there isn't a wideband version of the MM firmware. Does anyone know if you can downgrade the firmware in these things? I'd love to play the with 3.6.2 firmware just to check it out, but then be able to revert back to 3.6 when I'm done.

Once you lock down the radio to narrow there is not turning back! Check your PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.