• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom mobile to monitor a trunked NXDN system

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary123

I am doing the groundwork to decide what hardware to buy.

I want a mobile radio to monitor a multisite NXDN 4800 trunked system. I am extremely familiar with moto systems. What I want to do is to monitor a non encrypted TG on a multi site NXDN4800 baud system. I am not sure what model of Icom will do this. I also do not know if a SYS key is needed to program up the system? I have access to the software (legit purchase) and any cables needed.

If anyone has done something similar I would appreciate any advice. I am not dedicated to Icom although its my preference. I dont want a Kenwood but any other manufacturer would be seriously considered. Scanners are not an option in this aplication. (we have 3 BCD536 with the NXDN option).

k9tsu

I know a while back I tried using a Kenwood portable and just programming all the trunk frequencies into a zone, setting to scan, and 'open squelch.' Did not work, never stopped on any of them. Was told by someone that this does not work. And yes, I've done this with analog/p25 systems and it has worked, and I'm familiar with NXDN.

Not sure about Icom, but I'm sure if actually programmed for a system with some sort of system key it would work.

gary123

My current research is the reason the Kenwoods dont work is that the firmware is set to block any transmissions not properly formated. So if you dont have the NXDN key thats why it wont work. This is why Im looking at Icom I believe they will properly scan the system and may not need a key.

I juts dont want to drop $$$ on a unit that wont do what I want.

gspivey

Hi, I use an icom F6061D to scan a nxdn 48 single site system. No key needed. I just had someone program it with the freqs, the ran, and talkgroups. The only issue is it will stop scanning on any active talkgroup and not only the ones you have programmed. You only hear the talkgroups you entered but it will stop and be silent on the non-programmed talkgroups. That's how mine works anyway. But the nxdn audio is fine.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
My current research is the reason the Kenwoods dont work is that the firmware is set to block any transmissions not properly formated. So if you dont have the NXDN key thats why it wont work. This is why Im looking at Icom I believe they will properly scan the system and may not need a key.

I don't know about the IDAS trunked systems, I've never worked on one.
I do run a NexEdge trunked system.
As you discovered, you cannot program in a trunked system as separate conventional channels and receive traffic. It will not work. The packets from the NexEdge system are marked as such, and the radio will not pass audio to the speaker.

Even with the programming software, you will not be able to program the radio to follow a trunked system. There is a USB key that is needed and you'd need the .skf file for the system. Without those, you will not be able to program it as a trunked system.
Even if you had those, the trunked system can be set up a couple of different ways. Using access control settings, it can require that the radio ID be in the system. It can also be set to require that the radio ID -and- the ESN be in the system (and match) or it won't work. Not even for receive only.

IDAS systems might be different if they are running in Type D trunking mode. Never had an Icom IDAS mobile to try out.

I juts dont want to drop $$$ on a unit that wont do what I want.

Really, get a scanner. It'll give you a lot more flexibility. Not only will you not be tied to just one band, they will cover many other types of trunked system. Pricing will be about the same, though.

Unless you have permission to be on the trunked system and have the radio programmed correctly, there's not much point in getting a transceiver if all you are going to do is listen. About the only benefit is that the receivers tend to be better than what you'll find in a consumer scanner.

gary123

mmckenna: Thank you for the reply.

We have several scanners (bcd536 with NXDN). In the application we are considering a radio is essential. We can and will be contacting the Sys Admin and will have no issue getting a .skf. Right now its a learning curve. We knew about the Kenwood muting non matched TG audio we had also heard that the Icom radios did not do that.The muting issue is something I was looking for clarification on.

The system is primarily Kenwood hardware so I will be doing research on Icoms version of a .skf if one is required for programming. We have no issues contactin Icom nor getting authorization documents from the sys Admin.

I am also now assuming that a radio capable of IDAS will work on a single site system. I also now believe that we could just program up the single site from the multisite system as single site and program up the assigned TG that way as well?

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
mmckenna: Thank you for the reply.

We have several scanners (bcd536 with NXDN). In the application we are considering a radio is essential. We can and will be contacting the Sys Admin and will have no issue getting a .skf. Right now its a learning curve. We knew about the Kenwood muting non matched TG audio we had also heard that the Icom radios did not do that.The muting issue is something I was looking for clarification on.

The system is primarily Kenwood hardware so I will be doing research on Icoms version of a .skf if one is required for programming. We have no issues contactin Icom nor getting authorization documents from the sys Admin.

I am also now assuming that a radio capable of IDAS will work on a single site system. I also now believe that we could just program up the single site from the multisite system as single site and program up the assigned TG that way as well?

Did you ever get this to work Gary? I am in a similar situation and would like to monitor a trunked NXDN system by scanning the channels programmed in conventionally. Do the Icoms unmute the audio (my Kenwoods do not as you know).

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Single Site Trunking is a lot different to multisite trunking - what icom radios are you using? is it an icom trunk or Kenwood trunk?

Also Type-D or Type-C?

you might be able to use the RC-FS10 | Products | Icom Inc[/QUOT

Its a multi site trunked system. I do not have the radio yet. Just trying to investigate before I try it

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
I am doing the groundwork to decide what hardware to buy.

I want a mobile radio to monitor a multisite NXDN 4800 trunked system. I am extremely familiar with moto systems. What I want to do is to monitor a non encrypted TG on a multi site NXDN4800 baud system. I am not sure what model of Icom will do this. I also do not know if a SYS key is needed to program up the system? I have access to the software (legit purchase) and any cables needed.

If anyone has done something similar I would appreciate any advice. I am not dedicated to Icom although its my preference. I dont want a Kenwood but any other manufacturer would be seriously considered. Scanners are not an option in this aplication. (we have 3 BCD536 with the NXDN option).

Gary123 and others,
I have tried to monitor a NXDN Type C system by entering the channels in conventionally and scanning them in a Kenwood, and as mmckenna and Gary123 have found, the audio does not unmute. I would like to try this using an Icom NXDN type radio and wondering if it would work on Icoms? It is a multisite system with each site having its own control channel and it is a 9600 narrow system. I do use a Whistler scanner presently to scan but would like to have something with better audio and sensitivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.