RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > ICOM Land Mobile Radio

ICOM Land Mobile Radio - Discussion forum for ICOM land mobile radio equipment such as the IC-F series radios. Please do not post amateur radio topics here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 4:00 PM

Default Icom mobile to monitor a trunked NXDN system

I am doing the groundwork to decide what hardware to buy.

I want a mobile radio to monitor a multisite NXDN 4800 trunked system. I am extremely familiar with moto systems. What I want to do is to monitor a non encrypted TG on a multi site NXDN4800 baud system. I am not sure what model of Icom will do this. I also do not know if a SYS key is needed to program up the system? I have access to the software (legit purchase) and any cables needed.

If anyone has done something similar I would appreciate any advice. I am not dedicated to Icom although its my preference. I dont want a Kenwood but any other manufacturer would be seriously considered. Scanners are not an option in this aplication. (we have 3 BCD536 with the NXDN option).
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2018, 4:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I know a while back I tried using a Kenwood portable and just programming all the trunk frequencies into a zone, setting to scan, and 'open squelch.' Did not work, never stopped on any of them. Was told by someone that this does not work. And yes, I've done this with analog/p25 systems and it has worked, and I'm familiar with NXDN.

Not sure about Icom, but I'm sure if actually programmed for a system with some sort of system key it would work.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:42 AM

My current research is the reason the Kenwoods dont work is that the firmware is set to block any transmissions not properly formated. So if you dont have the NXDN key thats why it wont work. This is why Im looking at Icom I believe they will properly scan the system and may not need a key.

I juts dont want to drop $$$ on a unit that wont do what I want.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Hi, I use an icom F6061D to scan a nxdn 48 single site system. No key needed. I just had someone program it with the freqs, the ran, and talkgroups. The only issue is it will stop scanning on any active talkgroup and not only the ones you have programmed. You only hear the talkgroups you entered but it will stop and be silent on the non-programmed talkgroups. That's how mine works anyway. But the nxdn audio is fine.
Old 04-09-2018, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary123 View Post
My current research is the reason the Kenwoods dont work is that the firmware is set to block any transmissions not properly formated. So if you dont have the NXDN key thats why it wont work. This is why Im looking at Icom I believe they will properly scan the system and may not need a key.
I don't know about the IDAS trunked systems, I've never worked on one.
I do run a NexEdge trunked system.
As you discovered, you cannot program in a trunked system as separate conventional channels and receive traffic. It will not work. The packets from the NexEdge system are marked as such, and the radio will not pass audio to the speaker.

Even with the programming software, you will not be able to program the radio to follow a trunked system. There is a USB key that is needed and you'd need the .skf file for the system. Without those, you will not be able to program it as a trunked system.
Even if you had those, the trunked system can be set up a couple of different ways. Using access control settings, it can require that the radio ID be in the system. It can also be set to require that the radio ID -and- the ESN be in the system (and match) or it won't work. Not even for receive only.

IDAS systems might be different if they are running in Type D trunking mode. Never had an Icom IDAS mobile to try out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary123 View Post
I juts dont want to drop $$$ on a unit that wont do what I want.
Really, get a scanner. It'll give you a lot more flexibility. Not only will you not be tied to just one band, they will cover many other types of trunked system. Pricing will be about the same, though.

Unless you have permission to be on the trunked system and have the radio programmed correctly, there's not much point in getting a transceiver if all you are going to do is listen. About the only benefit is that the receivers tend to be better than what you'll find in a consumer scanner.
Sponsored links
Old 04-10-2018, 12:23 PM

mmckenna: Thank you for the reply.

We have several scanners (bcd536 with NXDN). In the application we are considering a radio is essential. We can and will be contacting the Sys Admin and will have no issue getting a .skf. Right now its a learning curve. We knew about the Kenwood muting non matched TG audio we had also heard that the Icom radios did not do that.The muting issue is something I was looking for clarification on.

The system is primarily Kenwood hardware so I will be doing research on Icoms version of a .skf if one is required for programming. We have no issues contactin Icom nor getting authorization documents from the sys Admin.

I am also now assuming that a radio capable of IDAS will work on a single site system. I also now believe that we could just program up the single site from the multisite system as single site and program up the assigned TG that way as well?