RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > ICOM Land Mobile Radio

ICOM Land Mobile Radio - Discussion forum for ICOM land mobile radio equipment such as the IC-F series radios. Please do not post amateur radio topics here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2018, 2:02 PM

Default Icom ic-f510

I have one of these radios that I am setting up for someone. The question I have is. How do you hear the programmed frequencies? I have it programmed but I don't hear anything unless I push the MONI button I have programmed. I have another radio programmed to test with but I don't hear anything on the 510 unless I hold the moni button in. Is there a way to bypass having to ground the microphone in the hangar. The guy does not want to have to remove the microphone in order to monitor the frequency.
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2018, 8:10 PM

I should add that there is no tones on these frequencies.
Old 05-19-2018, 6:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just run a ground wire to the hanger. Or dig in the schematics, there is probably a better way to do the ground.

Frank
Old 05-19-2018, 8:03 AM

Well we are trying to avoid that as it is being mounted on a wooden shelf in a railroad motorcar. Is there any other way to do this. I didn't see anything in the software or manual to turn that feature off.
Old 05-19-2018, 8:27 AM

Make sure you don't have any signalling enabled, Like 2-tone, 5-tone, etc. that will cause the radio to mute unless monitor is pushed. There is no AND/OR function in those radios.
Sponsored links
Old 05-19-2018, 12:23 PM

I had know signalling enabled that I could see in the programming. I am at whit's end with this.
Old 05-20-2018, 3:01 PM

Ok I think I might know the issue with this radio. It has the OPC-617 option cable installed and another that looks similar to a Db25 pin connector. In my reading of the manual to uninstall these cables requires a bit of soldering on the PCB board at the Tx Mic circuit and the Rx AF circuit. These had to be cut when installing what I believe is either the UT- 109 or the UT110 Scrambler Unit. I will know when I get into the radio. I will report back here when I found out.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:56 AM

Well I am still having the same problem with this radio. No receive. If I open the squelch I can here the squelch noise but injecting a signal in I hear it barely over the noise. It sounds like the radio has lost it's sensitivity. Any other areas to check?
Old 06-01-2018, 7:04 PM

You just described a bad ceramic filter. Very common among F500 series radio (and many other brands as well).

The part is cheap. But, it does require some solder skills and board level repair skills to change.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Squelch?

Have you tried to adjust the squelch? Go online and get a manual to tell you how to do it. I have two of them and I have no problem setting the user setting and then .......

Ed