• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IC-121S Programming & Jumper F

Status
Not open for further replies.

slsrc

Feed Provider
All,

I picked up four IC-121S at Dayton this year really cheap. Want to use 2 in a backup repeater setup with an old CAT1000 controller. Would like to use 3rd for a Kantronics 3+ digipeater and one for a spare. None of these came with OPC-617 cables, so I basically made my own with a few parts from digikey.

A few questions as I've done some research and can't find the answers.

1) There are a few sites saying I need to solder Jumper F together. What does jumper F do when soldered?

2) I have the programming software, it reads the radio, but is there any instructions on the programming software? I could not find any on the web. Lots of options in the programming software, just want to make sure I have everything.

3) Has anybody else used one of these IC-121 or 121S with a Kantronics digi? Program the 3+, hook the db9's per the pin outs and it's good to go?

DODGEIT

I can answer #3. I am currently using a 121S as a digipeater radio with a KPC-3. I got a cable from Associated Radio. It is a Kantronics 1200b to 6PMD. also this number CAB K101 It uses the microphone jack and also a wire that goes to the speaker jack on the back. Works great.

slsrc

Feed Provider
How did you plug that CAB K101 cable into a IC-121S? It's a DB9 to 6pin DIN??? There is no DIN on the back of a 121S.

DODGEIT

SLSRC. You plug one part of the cable I referenced above into the mic jack. The other part of the cable has a phone jack that plugs into the remote speaker jack on the back of the radio. I set the volume control to one o'clock. It works perfectly. The other end of the cable has the DB9 that goes to the KPC3+

Status
Not open for further replies.